My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering with the steering column in my 123 when I noticed the cross member it is bolted to seemed to move when I turned the wheel. The column is bolted to a cross member between the frame rails and is adjacent the safety switch. I was able to move the steering wheel while under the tractor and noticed this steel piece had some flex or twist in in it when I turned the wheel. The front wheel were on the ground so there was resistance in the steering column when turning the wheel.

I checked to see if there were any cracks in the cross memeber or frame but could not see any.

Does anyone know if there is suppose to be some flex in the cross member? I am getting ready to do a hydraulic lift for the tractor but will hold off if I need to take the tower off and have the cross member rewelded.

I thought maybe some flex might be built into the system to save on the other parts of the steering system down the line.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

respectfully,

R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate you going put side, climbing under your tractor and checking for me. Now that is service despite being bad news. The crossmember looks original, I thought it might need welding on each end to stiffen it a bit more. Maybe 40 something year old paint is hiding some cracks.

Thank you

R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does not make any noise, it just twists a bit. I noted the very ends of the cross member (outside corners where it is squared off) do not appear to be welded to the frame. I am wondering if the weld job was not finished completely. I did take off the column and cleaned it and replaced the bottom set of bearings as the bottom ones were gone. there was a crack in the housing with a small hole. I think the po hit a rock or something. Tough old machine as it still functioned well with no bottom bearings. Incidentally I bought a used steering column from someone with a different model cub. While the length of the steering column itself was different, the innards were the same. I am not sure why cub would have used the plastic bearing holders for the steering when everything else was built with tough sheet steel or cast iron.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There shouldn't be any flex in the cross member that the steering box connects to. From reading your previous post someone had an oops/crash with your 123.

I would check the rest of the steering system (front axle and spindles) to make sure nothing is in a bind.

Check this topic out:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=91855&highlight=Uncle+Dick
It has a step by step process rebuilding the steering.
It's not a 123...same steering box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts