My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks and thanks for allowing me to pick your brain trust for the past few weeks. I am looking to upgrade from a Cub 2155 lawn tractor to a REAL tractor to do all the never getting done landscape jobs on our 2 acres which currently has about 3/4 acre grass. I am in a quandary between the JD X748 and 749. I have a 250 ft asphalt drive that I have been clearing of snow with a Honda Track drive blower for 10 years. I decided against the compact JD/2305+ because I think it's more than I need. I will be using the loader for rock moving, grading, leveling, etc. Am I on target here?
The dealer has steered me away from the 749 because they say it sometimes is a hindrance with loader and snowplowing work. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks. :trink39:
obx

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome obx, good to have you with us and best wishes on your quest :).

There are several X700 series owners here, so perhaps some will be along to give you some input on your questions :fing32:.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure most of the X7xx owners will chime in.

Where in Ct are you?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ditto, welcome to MTF.

Ditto, where ya at in CT?

Watch those big guys though, they have a way of having you spent money. :) Heard tell of one selling his firstborn for a seat. No one will trade a seat for mine though! LOL

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Howdy folks and thanks for allowing me to pick your brain trust for the past few weeks. I am looking to upgrade from a Cub 2155 lawn tractor to a REAL tractor to do all the never getting done landscape jobs on our 2 acres which currently has about 3/4 acre grass. I am in a quandary between the JD X748 and 749. I have a 250 ft asphalt drive that I have been clearing of snow with a Honda Track drive blower for 10 years. I decided against the compact JD/2305+ because I think it's more than I need. I will be using the loader for rock moving, grading, leveling, etc. Am I on target here?
The dealer has steered me away from the 749 because they say it sometimes is a hindrance with loader and snowplowing work. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks. :trink39:
obx
Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: Are you aware a X748 with a loader will run more than a 2305 with one? If you add a 3PH and rear PTO, the gap is even greater. The 4WS 749 might be a hindrance with snowblowing as the rear will hang out, however, we do have some posters here who are quite happy with that set up. What dealer are you talking to? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CT Power & Sport. Why? :thanku:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Not everyone wants a 2305.. that's the reason why the 700 series exists.. Sometimes it doesn't even matter that the 2305 is cheaper.

But you do need to think this one through carefully. The X700 series is a beast of a garden tractor and will do some FEL work, but if you need to do some really heavy duty FEL work then you may need to start looking at the SCUT's.

For material handling, mild digging, moving around "reasonable" loads in the bucket (500-700lbs) I'd say the X728/X748 would fit the bill. But if you are looking to do more than that then the 2305, or better yet, the 2320 may be better suited.

And welcome aboard! :MTF_wel:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Brett - great pics!. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. This size transition is really a gray zone. I am trying to avoid taking the next step up in size to the 2000 series - I only have 2 acres to work on and I am hoping the 45 loader with after market teeth will do the multiple projects I have on the list. The minimal back hoe work I might require doesn't warrant the expense of that capability. I addition, the 748/749 seem like monsters in the snow from the You Tube videos I have seen. I will be deciding soon so keep the great suggestions coming.
While I'm at it: which ballast solutions are best: Cat 1 3-point with box with suit case weights, ballast box click-n-go with suitcase weights, rear weight bracket(Click-N-Go)?
:thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would get the X748SE and that ought to last you a lifetime. The ride is excellent it's roomy and built like a tank. slkpk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At this point I'm leaning away from the AWS and toward the x748 SE. Of course, tomorrow I could be leaning the other way. :fing20:

·
Super Moderator
17,111 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:
If you want to put a 45loader on a AWS heres what you Have to do http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=83942
I personally have been running a 45 loader on a 2wd X485 (older version of a X720) for 7 years now. The X485 is my workhorse for 5.5 acres Because a 2305 would just get in my way. The 45loader is perfect for your intened projects Lately I have been doing some excavating work at my Yourger Brothers neighbors house with my little X485 and that without a Tooth Bar If your going to go with a Tooth Bar I would suggest looking at one from this place http://www.gatorattachments.com/?s=tooth+bar use to be called Markham welding I myself would go with the X748 and forget aboput the Special addition model. as far as rear weight I have the Cat 1 Ballast Box and a Click and Go weight Bracket which I use for Smaller Jobs when I leave the mowing deck on If I had to do it over I think I would have Got the Click & Go weight Box Because I don't keep weight in the Ballast Box If you plan on keeping weight in the Box all the time like Concret or filling it with loose sand then Go with the Cat 1 Ballast Box and get a Quick hitch for the 3point so you can just Back up and lift up and its on. But in tighter areas the Click& Go box is better than the 3point Box These Tractors the X700 series is perfect for snow removal and Loader Work. If I were to up grade to a compact it would be a JD 2320 or above Because recently deere has Been having some cooling Issues with there current 2305 models as in 2010 models.:thThumbsU

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
CT Power & Sport. Why? :thanku:
Just wondering. I bought my first JD from them (185) and had no problems, but when I needed to get a larger tractor, they didn't carry CUTS. I've dealt with FVE since then and they are a full CE dealer with the ability to load several tractors on their trailers so you can test them out on your property.

Good luck with your hunt. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For all your thoughtful replies. Your insight and input has helped immensely. I finally decided on the X748 SE. Why the SE? Cuz, that is what they had and CT P&S gave me a great deal. They were very helpful and patient as this decision has taken over a month to make!
Getting the X748 SE, 54" deck, mulch kit, blade with angling/hydraulics, 45 FEL, Cat 1 with ballast box and suitcase weights that would cost me a mint to carry on! Tractor with deck should arrive Sat - can't wait.
:trink39:
Thanks again friends!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts