My Tractor Forum banner

Crusher run

1582 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  CADplans
Hi, I would like to know if crush and run would work well on a driveway slope? After it packs down? At the face of my carport, there is a 10'x 30' ramp of concrete. I would like to transition in to the grass. What would be a good choice if crush and run wasn't used?

Thanks Dave
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Dave

I have a slight slope on my drive, very slight. Crush & run will pack tightly, you need a good base of it packed, then add more & pack.
The first time i put it down 30 years ago, it packed tightly & after a year, needed more. I put some 1" rock on it & after a year another load of crush & run.
Since then, i've added one other load, after a very heavy rainfall, i do have to take the FEL to scrape around a little, no major washout's though.

Ronnie
See less See more
Hey Ronnie,

Would packed clay be a good foundation for the C&R?

Thanks Dave
Dave

It will probably hold it, i have 4 vehicles using mine daily(now) so 3 loads in 30 years isn't bad.
My base is basically clay as well.

Ronnie
See less See more
Our quarry got another product, that is different than crusher run.

It is called pug mill run. The state uses it under paving.

The dilemma with pug mill is it will not tailgate off at only a couple inches, the thinnest is 4-5 inches.

After delivery, I roll it with a lawn roller.

I then drove over it with the Chevy Suburban, it compacts to about 50 to 70% of its original thickness.

It seems to seal like concrete, water does not penetrate it. Anything firm under it makes a good base.

Top it with some (1-2") of 5-7's or crusher run, the driveway is pretty much eternal.

My driveway has been firm for over 15 years.

Oh, yea, I keep a lot of "crown" on it.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.