My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every one jumped on me the other day for giving up on the junky Cub 109 and selling it for 200.00. I told the buyer of all its problems and about how all the deck bearings were bad.He said no problem and he wanted it as a project and wasnt concerned about fixing it.

Today i find it on CL for 450.00.Says it has new paint (probably from a spray can). I knew it was my tractor and there is no way he fixed all that stuff in 4 days including the smoking Kohler engine and the wore out deck.If you read his CL listing you will see he says it dont have a deck belt.Why? Because the bearings are shot and he knows it.

I sent the guy an email asking about the condition.He quickly replied and said he got it from and old man who said it ran and mowed great.Liar. First i aint old and second he knew it smoked and the deck was shot.

A few minutes after his reply i sent him another email stating i would bring a belt to put on and try out before buying and would pay his price if it worked OK.Minutes later he replyed again saying he had someone coming to get it.

I felt bad after finding all its troubles after paying 300,So how do you think the next guy will feel after paying 450?

http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/1198838309.html

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Have you ever heard the Latin phrase "caveat emptor"? It means "buyer beware". It's up to the buyer to know what it is that he's buying and then pay accordingly. You paid $300.00 and then found more problems than you were prepared to deal with so you let it go for $200.00. That guy looked upon it as a way to make a quick buck. Now that you've sold it, it isn't your concern as to who he sells it to or how much he gets for it. You named your price. End of story. Forget it and just move on.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Agreed. It's shame that people work the angles like that, but like caseguytoo said, it's up to the buyer to know what it is that your buying. If any smart buyer that knows tractors really takes a good luck at that tractor, then he should be able to spot those problems.

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
Best you can hope for is that buyer catches the problems and calls him on it BEFORE handing over any money. There is usually nothing a dishonest person hates more than someone pointing it out to them.

Really not much you can do at this point Just accept that you've (hopefully) learned your lesson and know more what to look for next time. Of course it's always possible that next buyer may think $450. is still a steal even with the problems - it's all how you look at things.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
the best thing that has come from this is that you have learned what to look for when buying another tractor. it's an expensive lesson, but one that may pay off big in the future!:thThumbsU

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
No shame in worrying that someone's lies and dishonesty will hurt another. That is called civic mindedness and we need more of it all over.

We all turn our backs on the thieves and liars abit too much and blame the victim.

If you have pics of the tractor still post an ad on CL (listed as Sold) list the problems you know about. Maybe you can educate a potential buyer before they get burned. Caveat Emptor is important but somepeople are pretty good liars. What else will that same person do to profit? they will ANYTHING they can get away with. Scum.

·
Eccentric Englishman
796 Posts
He paid you what you thought it was worth.
He can ask what he likes, its up to the person who goes to see it to decide if they think its worth what he is asking. Lets hope they have done their homework before they buy it.

For your own sanity, just ignore it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I still think its worth about $400. just needs some work. Trust me I have been had and thats how I learn, that is one of the main reasons I come to this place is to get input on tractors so I have the knowledge to make my own decision.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I have seen "counter-ads" posted by folks on CL,who went to look at an item,and found it was misrepresented in the original CL ad...some folks care enough to keep CL posters honest,whether they like it or not..of course,their "dont buy this POS" ad is quickly "flagged" by the seller,but at least a few folks might see its a deceptive ad,and not bother to reply to it, or pass on said item..

There are oppertunists everywhere,especially in todays economy..I have nothing against getting something cheap,and selling it at a good profit,but I do not lie about the item,or the fact it might not be in perfect shape..I'd rather KEEP something,than sell it to someone and then have to watch my back everywhere I go!..evidently others dont care,but I do..

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have a problem with the guy tryin to make a quick buck.I know he thought he stole it from me.

What gets me is he KNOWS it has problems and that deck aint gonna be cheap to repair.He can go to all the trouble to paint it and make it look nice but cant put a simple belt on? If i were a potential buyer that would be a red flag to me and i would call him on it.

Buying the tractor and finding minor trouble is one thing but getting home and finding a major problem like the deck. Not putting that belt on is clearly deceptive IMO.

The good thing is around here for 450 bucks that tractor better be near mint and absolutly no problems at all or they wont buy it. My guess is he will barely get back what he paid me or he will end up eating it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
My guess is he will barely get back what he paid me or he will end up eating it.

Not too far from where I live, a guy had a 400 series Case for sale with a deck and snocaster. He was asking $1800.00 for it because he foolishly paid some local dealer $900.00 for a snocaster that routinely sells for about half that amount. I politely explained to him what tractors like his often sell for on e-Bay and of course, he got all pissy with me. I didn't think that anyone would be stupid enough to pay anywhere close to his asking price. Two days later he sent me an e-mail stating that it sold for $1600.00. I own 14 Case units and I would not have paid more than $400.00 for what was on offer, especially since I'm sitting with two snocasters right now that I'd love to sell.

As PT Barnum is alleged to have said: "There's a sucker born every minute." Don't be surprised if he gets his asking price.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking for an older WH awile back to fix up..something cheap but workable. This old guy called and said he had some non runners and would take 850 apeice.I told him he would never get that for them in their condition. His reply..I know. If he knew that then why in the **** did he call?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I was looking for an older WH awile back to fix up..something cheap but workable. This old guy called and said he had some non runners and would take 850 apeice.I told him he would never get that for them in their condition. His reply..I know. If he knew that then why in the **** did he call?
Because until you reel in your fishing line, you never know what's on the end of the hook.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see he relisted it today and tells a little more about it.The belt and blade are out here laying by a tree. He was in such a hurrry he left them behind.The mower deck was in peices when he left as i showed him all the bad bearings.Here is what he is not telling..all things i made him aware of..

SG doesnt charge..incorrect muffler and gas tank...battery box rusted out...hood hinge rusted in two..hydro fan busted..lift lever dont work..big hole in deck.and the list goes on..

http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/1200960249.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts