Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, :howdy:

This question goes to the TRUE FABRICATORS out there.

Do you guys sometimes feel overwelmed with the difference of opinions when you fabricate something for yourself, Post/share ONLY to be made to feel discouraged by other's opinions of your builds?

I'm just about at my end with sharing on my "tractor's brand" section. This, Sharing, and explaining, anything and everything I build. And being made to feel like I have to defend everything I build is getting to me.

I know some members in the past have left these Sites, because of some members strong difference of opinions.

I'm just wondering if i'm the only one feeling like this. I love fabricating, I find it is my sanctuary from everyday reality, but lately, I am finding it dificult to share on these forums. I'm loosing patience it seems.

Thanks for listening and any input you may have to share about this subject.

:thanku:
Jay

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Unless you ask for opinions about things that you do I wouldn't even worry about what other peoples opinion is unless there are specific safety issues involved . JMO .

Mike

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
if you post something you build, some folks will like it and some will critique it. honestly if you can't handle that, then either don't post it or learn to ignore the ones who point out what they perceive as flaws. sometimes they will be correct, and soemtimes you will be. the key is to discuss it civilly and not to argue about it.

BTW, it is not as bad on this site as it is on most other tractor forums. i know, i visit a bunch of them but really only post here because the rest have a more than their share of know it alls.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I'm not a "true fabricator", I have a 4 1/2 in grinder, 220 flux welder and a drill.
I love seeing everyone's builds whether it's a snow blade made from plywood/2x4's or Ray completely making a trailer or rebuilding his old Shaw tractor. Everyone has different levels of skill and if it works for you, then that is all that matters. I'm building a snow blade right now using elements from many builds on here that people have built over the last few years. When I post my build, I imagine I will get some positives and negatives, but if it does what I need and doesn't break under me then who cares what others might say.

Sorry you are not getting positive feedback,......

"if ya can't say something nice, best to not say anything at all"

·
close enuff works for me
3,339 Posts
I have posted pictures of several tractors I have modified or fabricated new parts .

the majority of the comments are positive

there is always a little good natured ribbing (which I enjoy)

there are a few comments about safety( which I take as concern for my safety by fellow members)

a few questions on how I did the fabricating
(other members are wondering how to build something similiar)

Deereboy 55

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
As long as you are satisfy with your build I would not worry about it. As for safety issues I grew up in the 40's and 50's and safety was a personal issue and was not built into equipment. We all have different abilities, the amount we can spend on a project, and the equipment we have to work with.
I hope I haven't said anything to discourage any one from building a project or posting it.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If they don't like what I make...

They can kiss my grits!

Now of course safety and technique, I'm willing to listen to.

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone being a jerk to anyone else who didn't get their comeuppance.

·
Premium Member
10,486 Posts
The title of the post was a little mis leading as the message indicated "This question goes to the TRUE FABRICATORS out there."

I have been Critiqued, Commented, and helped on here, and I do some fabricating, Chicken Tractor comes to mind, and some small parts that are NLA on the tractors.

I have heard this from a couple other members that they have moved to other sites because of "Not nearly as many wiseguys". I have not personnaly experienced that unless you count the "Sexy tractor post" a while back.

We are all adults here, or aspireing adults, We all could use some mentoring, and a little critique never hurts, and can help.

MTF is what we make it. Remember, as my Grandson read from the MTF sticker on the back of HULK II "A forum OF the members BY the members, and FOR the members"

my 2c

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
We are all adults here, or aspireing adults, We all could use some mentoring, and a little critique never hurts, and can help.

MTF is what we make it. Remember, as my Grandson read from the MTF sticker on the back of HULK II "A forum OF the members BY the members, and FOR the members"

my 2c

WELL SAID SIR! i fully agree.

·
HAMMAN
1,646 Posts
Don't let a few comments get you down. Your true worth to this forum is that you are fabricating and putting it out there for us to see. I may not always agree with what someone is making but I always try to say something, and I always try to make it positive. If guys like you didn't post and show us what you and possibly "we" can do, we probably wouldn't know your talent, or the potential of our talent. I know that I have gotten a lot of good ideas by looking at post from guys like you. Keep on posting right here on MTF. There are more of us out there that want to see what you have in store for us. Roger:thThumbsU

·
Registered
414 Posts
I really enjoy seeing everyone's ideas. It doesn't matter if it was a quick repair/fabrication to get you through the day's work or a long term, planned out, cad designed, super deluxe upgrade that the factory should copy. I see we have people on this forum who polish the items that they own after every use and the ones who have so many old pieces of equipment that they can barely keep up with keeping fresh gas in everything. And lots of variation in between. Everyone has something to contribute to MTF. As soon as I figure out the posting of pictures properly I would like to join in on that level as well. Don't get discouraged, keep posting your projects. I for one along with many others are really enjoying them without critiquing them.

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
I try to comment as nicely as possible. When asked for my opinion I give it. When somebody posts something they are proud of I applaud them on their success and only give advice if it is in regards to safety, or rarely to give a different prospective that may allow for improvement to help achieve smooth operation and better capability. I try my best to be supportive, and hope I have never came across as anything less. I love all you guys on this forum, and the critique you give my is what I am looking for most of the time, to better my equipment and my skills.

Jayvee43,

I just want you to know that most people on here only say what they do to help you to have a safe, efficient, and downright slammin' machine. Best of luck and hope you stay on the forum.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There's a variety of experience here, and some criticism is to be expected. I know I have pointed out alternative or easier ways to accomplish a goal, but in the end if it does what you want, then who cares what others say.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,240 Posts
Your just looking at it wrong...
When someone says something you can think... Yea thats a good idea or...
I like my idea better. I learn from other's opinions ... Sometimes they think outside of the box... I'm allways looking for a better idea but sometimes my idea is the best for me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, that's all good comments.

But I guess I should have been more clear. My Problem is the "KNOW IT ALL" Attidudes out there, and the "TAKING OVER" your threads posts, and trying to "OUTDO" themselfs by being one atop the other.

Igive you an example, I built a Electric actuator front end loader on a Huskyvarna Lawn tractor, I was accused of breaking all the safety rules in the book.

I built a Hydraulic front end loader on a litttle case 200 series tractor, and suddenly I have a weapon of mass destruction. with danger of droping a load that barely fit in a ordinary wheel barow and I suppose crushing something, or yet flipping over, or my favorite "the one they are so concerned about" overloading to the poing my release valve POPS.
I'm trying to tell them it is a little tractor, it caries maybe a 200 lbs of wet snow in at the most, and they make the worst of it.
I love this site, and I love looking at othe's fabricator stuff. My dad was a great fabricator, but I'm looking for a new place to share my stuff, cause on my "NAME BRAND" section, They try and shoot you down, as soon as you do something different.

attached is a pic of my lil tractor. Ive had it for a number of years, not quite the weapon they call it to be. It has a FEL, 3Point hitch and rear blower, and grader blade all built/modified by me. anyways, thanks for listening guys. :thanku:

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
You know what??? If you don't like their idea, don't answer back. Then it doesn't turn into an arguement. They can't pound it down your throat if you don't resist.

I really don't want the nice guys to leave the forum just because someone is overbearing.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,110 Posts
I'm looking at the photo you just put up of your Case FEL and I don't see anything wrong with it.
It looks as good as any factory built loader that I've seen.

Seeing the quality of your work, I have to ask if the problems your having with "know it all's" and "Dooms day" attitudes is from the members here on MTF or mostly from other forums ?

I ask this because of my own personal experience. .....
I do a lot of fabricating and I do a lot of posting on my projects.
When I first started posting my work I was on about 10 different forums and yahoo groups.

I now only post on this forum and two other forums.
I left the other forums for two reasons:
1- Like you said, as far as they were concerned, I couldn't build anything right.
2- They made no or very few comments at all.

Keep in mind that you will always have one or two people that won't be satisfied with what you do and no amount of explaining is going to change their mind.

With that said, I have to say that the members here at MTF ( and the other two forums I'm on ) have been very courteous when making comments on my projects.
They have asked thoughtful questions about areas that they wanted to know more about and their suggestions have been about things that they honestly thought would be of help.

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
if you post it on the internet, someone somewhere is going to gripe. that is just a fact of life.

as has been said many times, just ignore those posters that want to argue. If you can't ignore them, hit the "Report Post" button on their post and let the mod staff take care of it. I will not say that we will automatically delete their post(s), but if it is out of line we will certainly take care of it. just remember that what one person sees as out of line or arguementative may not actually be, that's why we have a mod staff and not a single mod. so we can discuss borderline items and come up with the best course of action, if any.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.