My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have an issue with my 420. when I'm mowing I've noticed that when in neutral it will creep in the direction I just came from, sometimes forward, sometimes reverse... This happens even if not mowing . I can get it to stop by overshooting neutral and going back to it. So, my question is can I adjust this?

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Re: creeps in nuteral

Many times creep can be adjusted out. There is a turnbuckle in the linkage that is used just to get rid of creep. If you get under the tractor, without the deck on, look up between the frame rails just ahead of the right rear tire and you will see the directional linkage with the turnbuckle in it.

I find it easiest with the fender deck off but it can be done from the under side as well. Lift the rear and put on jack stands. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the turnbuckle a little, start the tractor and see what changes you have made and adjust accordingly until the creep is gone.

If you can't get the creep out, then start looking for worn linkage as Harry stated.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: creeps in nuteral

sounds very "doable", I have removed the fenders several times (I'll go that route)

if adjusting doesn't solve the problem how do I resolve the "slop"?

thanks gentlemen!

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
if there is slop in ur pins...I took one machine & put small but stout springs on the linkage to hold the slack tight( this involved drillin some tiny holes in rods) but it did work..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, rain expected for the next few days, that should give me a chance to see about adjusting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts