My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Registered
So, looks like you are blowing and mowing. That must be some seriously unpredictable weather you have there 馃槈

Looks great! The X700 series definitely sits higher that the X500 series.
Last April we got three snows of over 4 inches each so you never know. I used my X500 two weekends ago to thatch the yard, sweep up the thatch, and run the spike aerator/fertilizer and drop 150 lbs of phosphorous and nitrogen. The grass is greening up quick this year. Our forecast looks good enough that I removed the blower and hitch off the X738 an hour ago. It was much faster and less hassle than the X500.

I switched two cars around in the garage to fit everything inside until the motorcycle gets moved for daily riding. Fortunately I have one bay that is 26 ft deep which just happens to be long enough to fit the Harley, X738, and a Chevy Sonic with plenty of room to walk around. I did fail at getting the 48 inch mower deck bottom masked and taped for priming and painting next weekend (it's the vertical deck in the foreground). I have new mulching blades to install after priming/painting/re-installing the mulch kit.

The guy who dropped off the tractor said its easier delivering this configuration because the blower and mower can be mounted simultaneously.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I notice from your picture that deere is still only supplying the hydraulic hose protective "sleeves" for the Quick Hitch and not for the blower itself. Not a big deal but being anal I would want them for the snowblower too. I'll have to order some to have when mine arrives. Sent dealer an email asking for an updated delivery date.....not a word yet.

I agree the X500 snowblower was quite a chore to install especially by yourself. I'm looking forward to the ease of install/removal with the X738. I got the snowblower dollies waiting to make it even easier!John Deere Snow Blower Storage Dollies - LP70692 (greenpartstore.com)

Not so patiently waiting,
Dan

Registered
I notice from your picture that deere is still only supplying the hydraulic hose protective "sleeves" for the Quick Hitch and not for the blower itself. Not a big deal but being anal I would want them for the snowblower too. I'll have to order some to have when mine arrives. Sent dealer an email asking for an updated delivery date.....not a word yet.

I agree the X500 snowblower was quite a chore to install especially by yourself. I'm looking forward to the ease of install/removal with the X738. I got the snowblower dollies waiting to make it even easier!John Deere Snow Blower Storage Dollies - LP70692 (greenpartstore.com)

Dan
I picked up two dollies at Menards. One is 18x30 inches - it was $15. The other is 12x18 inches - it was $10. I'm not especially fond of Menards but it is the closest big box store to where I live. The dollies appear to be made well enough. I don't recall the weight rating on the larger one but it might be 400 lbs. Most stuff at Menards is cheap stuff that breaks with little use. Also true of Home Depot and Lowes. Even the higher priced, name brand stuff is frequently cheap POS. I've stopped buying most things because I'm tired of taking things back or fixing them.

Have any of you new JD owners put grease on the PTO splines to keep them from corroding. Forgive me, but I haven't read my manuals yet. I had them in my lap the other day and my wife questioned why I had them. She said, "I thought all of you men were born with instinctive knowledge of how all things mechanical work?". I said, "Of course I was but now I'm old and I've forgotten it all." And with that I was distracted, set the manuals aside and haven't cracked them yet. I did take them out of the plastic wrappers so I think I should be awarded partial credit.

Oh. When I shut down the engine after moving the tractor the engine clanked an odd sound I've never heard come from an engine before. I opened the hood and pulled the dipstick to verify the crankcase has oil in it. The oil was almost so clear I couldn't tell where it was on the dipstick. Still curious about the clanking sound but won't move it until this coming weekend when the weather is nice.

Is there a reason the leading drive over deck treads don't have a bolt in them? The rear edge does - but not the front edge. Hole is there and appears to be tapped - but no bolt in the hole.

Registered
JD x758 - 2020
Is there a reason the leading drive over deck treads don't have a bolt in them? The rear edge does - but not the front edge. Hole is there and appears to be tapped - but no bolt in the hole.
I had a new x758 delivered a few weeks ago in Australia, the spindle/driver over deck covers didnt have bolts in the front holes of mine either. I thought they were missing, but i guess it allows the covers to be easily popped off for cleaning. Pulled mine off along with the discharge chute flap and left them off, i'll just click them back on when i need to drive over the deck.

BTW congrats on the new machine, they are a weapon. :)

Super Moderator

Dan
Mount the Blower sub frame On tractor, Pick Up Blower with sub frame (pull On Blower frame a bit to get pins to lock in), Place Belt On PTO Pulley I find the X500 series very easy to Mount the Belt driven Blowers at least On the 1st generator of X500 series tractors . I do It yearly for a friend On his X540 at least the Past 5 years . Do to His COPD he out of breath just moving the Blower on the dolly . There's more involved mounting the Blower On the X700 series If you Include mounting the shafts and quick Hitch as part of mounting the Blower! Not hard mount a X700 series Blower by oneself but You do have more to do to mount it (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Mount the Blower sub frame On tractor, Pick Up Blower with sub frame (pull On Blower frame a bit to get pins to lock in), Place Belt On PTO Pulley I find the X500 series very easy to Mount the Belt driven Blowers at least On the 1st generator of X500 series tractors . I do It yearly for a friend On his X540 at least the Past 5 years . Do to His COPD he out of breath just moving the Blower on the dolly . There's more involved mounting the Blower On the X700 series If you Include mounting the shafts and quick Hitch as part of mounting the Blower! Not hard mount a X700 series Blower by oneself but You do have more to do to mount it (y)
I'm a kind of embarrassed to say that all these years I've been lifting the blower into the hitch (subframe). For that past two years I've had to have my wife help me as its gotten to heavy to lift by myself. I guess I need to work smarter not harder :oops:

Registered
I picked up two dollies at Menards. One is 18x30 inches - it was $15. The other is 12x18 inches - it was $10....

Have any of you new JD owners put grease on the PTO splines to keep them from corroding. Forgive me, but I haven't read my manuals yet. I had them in my lap the other day and my wife questioned why I had them. She said, "I thought all of you men were born with instinctive knowledge of how all things mechanical work?". I said, "Of course I was but now I'm old and I've forgotten it all." And with that I was distracted, set the manuals aside and haven't cracked them yet. I did take them out of the plastic wrappers so I think I should be awarded partial credit.

Oh. When I shut down the engine after moving the tractor the engine clanked an odd sound I've never heard come from an engine before. I opened the hood and pulled the dipstick to verify the crankcase has oil in it. The oil was almost so clear I couldn't tell where it was on the dipstick. Still curious about the clanking sound but won't move it until this coming weekend when the weather is nice.

two dollies - I too use two dollies, from HF. They are rated for 1000 lbs, but I wouldn鈥檛 want to use them fully loaded on anything other than very smooth concrete. They work fine on my rougher concrete garage floor. The blower lifts high enough to allow you to roll the dollie under the blower, set the blower down, Edit: disconnect drive shaft, unlatch pins (can be done before setting the blower down), rock blower forward, roll away from tractor, disconnect hydraulic hoses & cap both hoses and connectors on the tractor.

Remove drive shaft, unlatch lift arm, open valve, lower lift arm, pin lift arm latch in top position, remove AutoConnect coupling from hanger and engage with spline on transaxle, grease couplings. Not pinning lift arm latch will allow latch to hang down where it will get bent when you raise the deck all the way up.

PTO splines should be greased prior to connecting shaft coupling from mower deck or AutoConnect. Make sure you buy the protective caps to place over the splines on the front axle to keep dirt from collecting on the greased splines during mowing or blade work. M175112 Front Stub Shaft Caps - $5.40 + tax (x2)

leading drive over deck treads don't have a bolt in them
- they don鈥檛 have the bolt so they can be easily removed to blow debris from around the spindles. I know a lot of people prefer to leave them off, but I prefer the safety of having that high speed spinning thing covered when it鈥檚 being used. Takes less than two seconds to remove or install. Thinking of seeing if I can add them to my older deck.

Clank - Have never heard that on my 2014 X738 or the 2019 X738 the church bought. If it does it again, I鈥檇 have the dealer check it out. Then if something goes wrong, you have it documented at the dealer for warranty.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Mike, would you also verify that you have the "lockout valve" installed? Should be a knob turned by hand located by the hydraulic ports.

Super Moderator
Yes, there is a single valve behind the hydraulic valve block with a knurled knob to turn. I assume that is the lockout valve. I still haven't read the manuals yet. :unsure:
Yes that is the Valve Deere calls It a Lock out Valve But it is not a true lock out it's more of a diverter Valve as some fluid still goes to the On Board Hydraulic cylinder as the engineers that designed the system for Deere did not want the on board cylinder to dry out. So If You Have a 3point Hitch it will still moved up and down but at a slower rate. To divert Most of You fluid to the outlets Yes it will be turned By Hand. If You want a true Lock Out you need to go with a aftermarket AUX hydraulics Valve Heavy Duty Lockout Valve For Heavy Ballast Weight Applicatio (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So dealer calls me and says Good News/bad news. Good news is your X738 is in and so is your 54in blower. Bad news is your mower deck is back ordered and won't be here until June!!!

WTH? Asked if I would be willing to upgrade to a 60in deck instead or the 54in I ordered and dealer would split the cost difference with me. I said what ever will get me my tractor and deck sooner I'm for. Is anyone else experiencing issues like this? Is this due to Covid? I swear getting my X738 is like pulling teeth.

Still waiting,
Dan

Registered
Definitely Covid. Everywhere you go they鈥檙e short on stock. I ordered a Deere part on a Tuesday that was in stock. Was supposed to come in Thursday. Didn鈥檛. Was to come in Friday, Didn鈥檛. Was to come in Saturday. Forgot to call before they closed. :( Monday they called to let me know it came in. All for a rubber latch to hold down the bagger lid.

If you have big open space type lawn, I don鈥檛 think you would be disappointed with a 60鈥 deck. My son has one and likes it a lot.

Reactions: Hoosier Daddy

Registered
I think the 60" deck weighs 100 lbs more than the 54. Plus, of course, it is wider. If your lawn is smooth, it will be great. If it is lumpy bumpy, you can get some attachments and you will already have the tractor to use them to make the lawn smooth.

Super Moderator
See if Your dealer is willing to Trade a 60inch with another dealer for a 54inch. My dealer does this stuff all the time with other Dealer Outfits My 260B Backhoe Came from a dealer Is Wisconsin I think the Traded them for a Brush cutter my dealer Had (y) I had to wait 2 Months for My 54inch deck On My 2025R and That was Before Covid do to the Fact the 2025R had been Updated and there Just were Not enough 54inch decks out yet.

Registered
I think the 60" deck weighs 100 lbs more than the 54. Plus, of course, it is wider. If your lawn is smooth, it will be great. If it is lumpy bumpy, you can get some attachments and you will already have the tractor to use them to make the lawn smooth.
From memory, Last I checked the 54鈥 was 219# and the 60鈥 was 268#. So 50#ish difference.

Registered
Back in 2018, I went through the same thing wanting to stop chewing up my driveway with those *** chains. And always wanting that x700 series and the 0% financing. I need a blade so I was going to wait on the snowblower. I bought the x738 and this is a beast in a good way. As of now 4 winters in not sure I'll ever need a blower this tractor can push some big snow. I have found NOTHING this tractor does not do well. I love this machine.

Reactions: Hoosier Daddy

Registered
... I have found NOTHING this tractor does do well. I love this machine.
Did you miss a word? .... NOTHING this tractor does NOT do well?

Reactions: Mcgee10
61 - 77 of 77 Posts