My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
RestMyCase said:
Proman, I have to give you credit, you get right after the problem ...

Yeah, great troubleshooting, you should be up and running shortly. :thThumbsU
Thanks guys. I really enjoy the challenge of finding & fixing things like this. Once I got started on it, I couldn't stop until I found out what the problem was.

I didn't get any more done on the engine today. The weather forcast was calling for showers in the afternoon & I had a lot of outside work that had to be done. I figured that I'd work outside until it started raining, then get back to work putting the engine back together. Well, it never rained & I kept on working outside until about 20:00 (8:00 PM) when I quit & came in for dinner.

I was also a little uneasy about not having a new seal, but had been so anxious to get it running that I was going to leave the old one in. After I read the procedure for installing the new bearing (heat the bearing plate in an oven to 200* & cool the bearing, then press together) I decided that I'd better wait & get a new seal when it's available. If the bearing fit is that tight, the old seal very well may get damaged or destroyed when removing the old bearing. I've used that installation method to do swing arm bearings on motorcycles before. That hot & cold press fit is a pretty slick way to get the bearing in.

I just can't wait to hear this thing run!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Thanks guys. I decided that I'd better wait & get a new seal when it's available. If the bearing fit is that tight, the old seal very well may get damaged or destroyed when removing the old bearing.
Those seals are readily available. Not sure why you would have to wait? I usually keep at least a dozen on hand. Make sure you put grease on the seal lip and when you replace the bearing plate install a new gasket using no sealant at all except on the plate bolt threads.

TJ

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
Where do I find the ignition control on a ol 18​
This is an 11 year old thread, you may want to put up a thread of your own to describe your issue. So first, welcome to MTF and hope you enjoy the site, here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts