My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my neighbors craftsman mower and once it hits compression stroke it stops tiring over and started is getting very very hot I just the starter solonoid and it still did noting she does not have very much money so I’m trying to figure out without buying unnecessary stuff what do you guys think is it the starter?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the starter behaves; it is not the starter.

When was the last time the oil was changed, what does it look and smell like?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She said she doesn’t know she is recently divorced and the husband did all the work on it the oil was a little black

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bad you, don't do that. If you let out the magic smoke it will stop working.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It's probably the little spring loaded compression release that is on the camshaft. It breaks and stops the engine from turning over.
Could be but if it's the briggs OHV the intake valve clearance must be right or even an unbroken release won't function right.
Problem could also be bad electrical contact including chassis ground and of course it has to have a good battery in the first place. As someone else mentioned check the oil. If overfull or gassy smell there may be gas/oil mix in the cylinder causing hydro lock.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
1/4 past tdc means turn engine clockwise (looking from top) until it's at tdc compression. then continue turning until piston is goes back down cylinder 1/4. I use a soda straw in the sparkplug hole. Others suggest if you turn engine until one valve is fully open then you can adjust the other one.

·
Money Pit
429 Posts
After you set the valve clearance check the compression release. Turn the engine over by hand -with the spark plug out- and you should see a slight opening and closing of the intake valve on compression stroke. If you don't see it that means the camshaft needs replaced. I don't recommend it due to loose metal in the crank case ( failed compression release) but you can start the engine by covering the air filter inlet with a rag or your hand while cranking the engine. That will act as a compression release limiting the air in the cylinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts