My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The lawn tractor is a 15.5HP 6 speed from 1996 (I think).

Anyway, my problem is that when I turn the ignition key to start all I get is a clicking sound from the engine area. The engine does not turnover - just the clicking sound.

I know the battery is fine, new and recently recharged.

I have had this problem intermittently since getting the lawn mower second hand (about 5 years) but just put up with it as sooner or later, if I just kept turning the key, the engine would eventually turnover and would start just fine.

But over the last while the problem has become more persistent - just the clicking noise and nothing else.

I am guessing it is either the solenoid (part # 145673) or the starter (part # 25-098-03).

Does anyone know which it is more likely to be - the starter or the solenoid??

Appreciate any advice.

Thank You

Tony

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You can use jumper cables to test whether the solenoid works or the starter works. With the brake set, transmission in neutral, you can jump across the two large terminals on the solenoid. If the starter works, you likely have a defective solenoid. If the starter doesn't work, you have a defective starter or cable problems. To rule out cable problems, you can use jumper cables to provide direct power to the starter. Use one cable to a clean bolt on the chassis or engine from the negative terminal, use the other cable from the positive to the large terminal on the starter body.
Be prepared for sparks, with no open fuel containers etc.
If the starter then works, you have a cable problem.
tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
My money would be on the solenoid. From what I've seen, it's the most common point of failure. Do what tomw0 suggested and put juice straight to the terminal on the starter just to be sure.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
A bad connection in the crank circuit can easily also mimic your symptoms.
You can get enough current to activate the solenoid, but not the high amperage to crank the starter.
Clean the battery cable connections as part of your troubleshooting procedure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts