My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I recently bought this 1975 ST-16 with a plow and snow thrower attachments (the model number of the snow thrower is 917.250680). I had the snow thrower on there and absolutely loved it! But I noticed that the pulley on the snow thrower gearbox was moving about an inch in and out of the gearbox, so I had to investigate. Upon opening the gearbox, 2 of the 4 bearings that were in there fell apart, and a third one was seized. So now I'm in the process of replacing those. Part numbers for those are Koyo M-12121, and Koyo B-1210 for those that may need it. the M-12121 is actually the 3/4" long bearing, and the one in there is Koyo M-12101, a 5/8" long bearing, but I figure that extra 1/8" can't hurt, and for me it's about $50 cheaper, so I'm going to give it a try.

This brings me to my next issue. The gears have been eating away at the gearbox casing. The flat thrust washers are still in place, so that's not the reason. I figure this is the cause of my wobbly pulley. I have a bunch of washers that I hope will work to shim the gears up to reduce the play, but I wanted to hear it from those of you that have this snow thrower, and perhaps have had yours apart, how much play is there in yours, both on the input and output, or what height should the bearings be be off of the gearbox walls in the different places? Also, in the diagram in the book, that bearing that I left in is not there, is it supposed to be there? I feel it was starving the bearing at the other end of that section of oil. That bearing at the other end was the worst by far.

I also have another problem caused by these bearings. The output shaft got severely damaged by the bearing there. I think I want to put some JB Weld putty (the kind you knead) on it, and grinding it back down to the correct diameter. I know the proper thing to do would be to get it welded and turned on a lathe, but I have already spent too much on this thing at this point to get that done, so I figure this is the best option. Any thoughts or reasons why I shouldn't do this, or any good ideas on how to achieve this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I envy your situation... Brings back memories of helping my father with his repair business back in the day... We would make wooden moulds of port holes, steering wheels, and other boat parts, then take them to a local guy with had a nonferrous foundry in his garage to cast them up in either bronze or aluminium. You could do the same with those gear box castings, and machine new seats for the bearings to sit, machine new shafts or weld and repair originals. As long as the gears are all intact it would be doable. All you would need is a lathe and some tooling... Wouldn't make sense cost wise, but would be fun way to spend that vacation money that cant be spent right now... I wouldn't use JB on that shaft, you just be into it in short order to fix it again.. Of course, just getting another gear box is an option...

·
20,000 +posts!
20,953 Posts
I have the smaller single stage snowblower like yours ,and I only got to use it a few times before the shaft that is worn down on yours,was pretty much destroyed when the auger drive chain came off and wound up around the small sprocket on that shaft--it bent the end of the shaft badly,and also took a chunk out of the housing ,which is half of the reduction box case assembly..
I had added rubber belting to the impeller,and it helped it throw snow better,but overall it was not a great unit for the type of wet cement snow we usually get here--whether that contributed to its failure or not I cant say..

So,the only way I can ever use the snowblower again is to hunt down a used reduction box (I think mine has a chain & two sprockets inside,not gears,but I never took it apart)...or I could try to save whats left by adding a pipe bushing where the housing was broke,and make up a new keyed shaft for it...or maybe I could just rig up an exposed jack shaft with pillow blocks to do the same thing the original reduction box did..

I haven't messed with it since it broke,I stashed it in the shed and there it sits..so far I've seen only a few "complete" blowers like it for $150+ ,I'm not investing much into it due to its limited performance in the wet heavy snow we get here..if I come across one for parts cheap I'd get it,but otherwise the plow works better for me..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh jeeze, I'm glad mine didn't self destruct like that. When I had it running, it actually threw it a decent distance, and did a great job! Some of the snow we get here is wet, but most is dry. I did try a bit to find a used gearbox, but I wasn't able to find any, and after hearing that these gearboxes are known for self destructing, I decided that I wouldn't know the condition of the gearbox, and it may be in the same or even worse condition. If you get a chance, do you think you could open the gearbox up and try to figure out how high the gears are from the sides? For example, in my pictures, the output shaft looks like it was right up against the housing, same with where the input shaft enters, and the end of the input shaft would be 0.063 of an inch because of that slotted lip.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,953 Posts
I'm laid up with a bad hip & back at the moment..not able to even do the chores that have to be done lately..:(
If I ever do fool with the snowblower ,its unlikely to be anytime soon,sorry--perhaps another member here who has had one of those gear boxes apart can be of more help..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm laid up with a bad hip & back at the moment..not able to even do the chores that have to be done lately..:(
If I ever do fool with the snowblower ,its unlikely to be anytime soon,sorry--perhaps another member here who has had one of those gear boxes apart can be of more help..
No Problem, didn't mean to impose. Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts