My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My self propelled mower starts ok, but after about 1 minute, it will start to decrease rpm's and stall, unless I press the primer bulb, then the rpm's increase and it will run for another minute. Any ideas what is wrong? thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds like a float problem inside the fuel bowl......could be taking on fuel or dirty. Drop the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb (behind the air filter) and if there is a bunch of crud dried to the float or gunk inside the float.....you need to clean it off, and or replace it. Sounds like your getting the carb fuel at times, but then it runs dry again and starves until you prime it to get it to draw again......
Go to craftsmans website or Briggs and Strattons website w your model numbers, and or engine serial numbers and it gives you the breakdowns of the mower. Should help you disassemble it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Carb needs to be removed, taken apart, soaked in a carb soaking cleaning solution (gunk has a 1 gallon w/ dipping basket for about $35. availabel at most auto parts stores). Make sure you soak the main jet as this will be clogged. It has 1 tiny pihole in the threads that everyone misses.
After rinsing the parts off with water, you need to blow them dry with compressed air, making sure to blow thru ALL the holes in the carb. Then insatll your new needle & seat and bowl gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts