My Tractor Forum banner

681 - 700 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got the bulbs off of Ebay, all I did was search for replacement bulbs of the same number that is on the original bulbs, I can't remember what that number was but I think it was a fairly common number. I didnt change anything as far as wiring or anything, I just changed the bulbs and they worked.
They are much brighter, crisper than the old bulbs. I think it really made a difference, definitely brighter and from what I have read, LED bulbs are not as hot as conventional bulbs so I figure that would be better for keeping the lenses from turning yellow over the years, but I could be wrong about that.
Thanks for the compliments about the mower, I think I got a really good deal at $800.00!!! So far, I've really enjoyed it. It's my first riding mower and I hope I have it for a long time, so yeah, I baby it and keep it clean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

BTW, :Welcome1:

I'm embarrassed to say that I missed your screen name, AND the pic of your yellow Hobie Cat! I miss my yellow 16. I've owned a few white ones over the years, but really loved the bright yellow one that I had in college.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey thanks. My Hobie16 is a 1984 model, yellow with stripes and yellow nationals sails, it's also a redline boat as well. I will have to post in the boats section on here. I've had her for 3 years now and absolutely Love this boat. When I was a teenager I had an H14 and that was a lot of fun. I guess the H16 is my midlife crisis toy, Lol.

·
Big and Wide
80 Posts
Here is how I keep my mowing time manageable:

Craftsman (AYP) tractor bought new in 97. 22.5 hp Kohler, hydro, 50" deck. Currently has almost 1200 hrs on it.

Craftsman (AgriFab) finish mowers bought new in 97 and 99. 8 hp Briggs, 42" cut. Craftsman (AYP) 46" lawn sweep.

As the tow mowers tend to track down hill of the tractor, I have them set to overlap a couple inches on level ground. Effective cutting width is 130", give or take, and that lets me do an clear acre in under 30 minutes.

Back in 97, Sears did sell a bracket for pulling two attachments at the same time but it was disco'd and not avail when I picked up the second tow mower so I made my own. For about 10 yrs I did switch it over to the 48" dozer blade for pushing snow around but have since bought a pick up truck for doing that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
RWG75, :Welcome1:

What's the purpose of the single sweeper?

Mike

·
Big and Wide
80 Posts
What's the purpose of the single sweeper?
As in: where's the other one? That was plan A.

After getting the first one, I found that corners got really wide when turning in that direction. If I do a U-turn to the left, the tow mower just about pivots around the inside wheel. If I try a tight turn to the right, the draw bar for the sweeper meets the back of the two mower deck. That forces the sweeper to get dragged sideways and that strikes me as pretty hard on the wheel bearings. I settled for 2/3 of the clippings on first pass.

·
Big and Wide
80 Posts
In case anybody is wondering about routinely dragging around that much weight: this pic is a big block Chrysler from the 70s. The tractor didn't seem to notice but there may have been a bit of groaning from the cart.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
1968 D100 Custom. 318, 727 Automatic, 3:55 Suregrip rear end. Bought brand new by my Grandfather in 1968. Has 63,000 original miles, even has original spare tire under the bed, owners manual complete with Chrysler Certicard in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
As in: where's the other one? That was plan A.

After getting the first one, I found that corners got really wide when turning in that direction. If I do a U-turn to the left, the tow mower just about pivots around the inside wheel. If I try a tight turn to the right, the draw bar for the sweeper meets the back of the two mower deck. That forces the sweeper to get dragged sideways and that strikes me as pretty hard on the wheel bearings. I settled for 2/3 of the clippings on first pass.
Gotcha, thanks. I never even knew Sears sold those mowers so late.

Mike

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
RWG75 lol

the rafters would let us know we was pulling out a 440 every time
they must weigh 8 to 900 pounds with the trans on

john

·
Big and Wide
80 Posts
RWG75 lol

the rafters would let us know we was pulling out a 440 every time
they must weigh 8 to 900 pounds with the trans on

john
Oddly enough while installing the electric hoist I used a complete 440 on an engine stand as my test weight. If it could lift that lump up without pulling the hooks out or flexing the joists.... After a bit of trial and re-enforce-ment I got it rock solid. Tied 3 joists together and then did a vertical connection to the rafters. I don't think my "convertible" roof weighs more than 300 lbs.

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I had to stick this one in here...

Years ago I stopped at a yard sale and bought this tractor for $75.00
The tractor looked like junk but it had a NEW 16hp single cly Briggs on
it's frame. So I bought it just for the engine. After I got it home and found
that it starts on it's first pull ( yep rope pull start) I took it for a ride.
I love the way it drove. So I thought I would buy a hood and the right fenders and seat for it. I could not find anything that would fit my Sears... Then someone told me it was not a Sears... I was thinking Wow. Where is this guy from. I know a Sears when I see one. He said it was a Roper. He was right. After that I had no problem finding parts. Then I had a shoulder injury and I sold it because it was rope start. Boy did I miss that tractor. Four years later it showed up at a consignment auction. I made it mine again. It's not going anywhere again. I'm keeping it. It's a very good running engine and always starts first pull even if it sets for months. First picture is the first day I bought it years ago. second picture is what it looks like today.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Kibeitz,

Congratulations on getting YOUR "mystery tractor" bsck!

Do you have ANY information regarding the ROPER633A Transaxle?

I'm looking for PDF's, downloads, heck anything to assist/ready me to work on mine...

Please feel free to PM/email-relay me!

-Thomas Skagen (12)
Port Orchard, Washington
(360) eight 7 six- 3 nine 66
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

681 - 700 of 715 Posts