My Tractor Forum banner

661 - 680 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is my "just got" craftsman mower.---model---917-259567 ----year might be 1996 from what I can tell. It came with 42" mower, snow blade , wheel weights, and tire chains. thanks; sonny
Awesome! The tractor you have found is one of the most reliable builds! The Briggs Opposed Twin is a very reliable engine as well as the 6-Speed Dana 4360-122. Very reliable mowers when taken care of and cleaned up! To find the exact date of manufacture, look at the SN. The first parts of the serial are MMDDYY. For example, my EZ3 has 061898. So, mine was finished on June 18, 1998!

Also heres a pic of my EZ3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I purchased this SS18 back in February (on a whim) from a seller on CL that had recently lost his dad and felt that it was best to part with the tractor. The seller was a Sears mechanic for 14 years before starting his own towing company out in MD. His dad worked at the Sears assembly plant for a number of years before becoming a repair mechanic himself. The family purchased the tractor in 1977.

We're close in age, had similar stories (and pictures) and talked a lot about growing up riding these machines, and doing work in the yard with family. After sharing my admiration for these tractors, and showing him a bit of what I've done over the years, after about an hour of looking the tractor over, the spare parts, snow thrower, weights, blade, mower etc... he finally said "to be perfectly honest, I'm really hoping you buy it, and keep it in your family, dad would have wanted that."

He had me there.. and I bought it. The price was also more then fair :trink40:

When the GT came out, his dad apparently liked the color scheme better then the SS18 yellow, and repainted the tractor. He also swapped out the plastic dash for the sturdier ST dash (which I like). I did a variation on this paint scheme when I repainted it.

I'm a few days away from finishing the restoration. All paint, body, and engine work is done. Just left with the finalizing the wiring. Eager to share!

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
I purchased this SS18 back in February (on a whim) from a seller on CL that had recently lost his dad and felt that it was best to part with the tractor. The seller was a Sears mechanic for 14 years before starting his own towing company out in MD. His dad worked at the Sears assembly plant for a number of years before becoming a repair mechanic himself. The family purchased the tractor in 1977.

We're close in age, had similar stories (and pictures) and talked a lot about growing up riding these machines, and doing work in the yard with family. After sharing my admiration for these tractors, and showing him a bit of what I've done over the years, after about an hour of looking the tractor over, the spare parts, snow thrower, weights, blade, mower etc... he finally said "to be perfectly honest, I'm really hoping you buy it, and keep it in your family, dad would have wanted that."

He had me there.. and I bought it. The price was also more then fair :trink40:

When the GT came out, his dad apparently liked the color scheme better then the SS18 yellow, and repainted the tractor. He also swapped out the plastic dash for the sturdier ST dash (which I like). I did a variation on this paint scheme when I repainted it.

I'm a few days away from finishing the restoration. All paint, body, and engine work is done. Just left with the finalizing the wiring. Eager to share!
WOW, was a commemorative story...

From the picture you posted, it looks like a strong contender!

Please keep us notified up progress and updates.

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Well, a fifty bucks engine to replace the blown one, and it was sitting outside in the rain in some pile behind the guys house - kind of remember dumping some water out of some of the orifices ... but she fit on and is running fine.
A JD wannabe?

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOL look what I found for sale! An MTD made LT1500 with s**t on the go auto

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
GT6000 to GT5000 wiring question...

I have a GT5000 that has a blown Kohler Command CV25, that I'm replacing with a Kohler Magnum MV18...

To make things simple, I'm attempting to find a way to make the wiring "EASY" for me to understand to convert from a 6-wire ignition, to a 7-wire!

Model numbers are irrelevant as we are ALL fimilur with these.

PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF ANY HELP OF ANY KIND/TYPE...

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

P.S. If model numbers are THAT important, I will post them tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
You definitely should start a new, dedicated thread for this, Thomas, and include the tractor model number and engine model numbers that you're trying to use. That way, folks can look for the appropriate electrical schematics, and give you better advice.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
Will do first thing tomorrow morning Mr. Mike!

Thanks,
-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ok, here we go...

Donor= 917.258691

Kohler Magnum 18hp
Model # MV18S
Spec # 58560
Serial # 2707800616

Recipient= 917.276101

Kohler Command 25hp
Model # CV730S
Spec # CV730-0029
Serial # 3418116611

Basically, I don't want to modify the dash to fit the 6 pin ignition from the donor mower. I would rather "re-pin" the wiring to also include my electric Actuator as well...

I'm no electrician. I'm more of a "Hobbiest Small Engine Mechanic"... I work on my stuff, and family equipment.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

No wiring diagrams, as I can't make any sense of them... I failed Basic Electronics back in High School (1993). :-(

Thanks y'all!

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Ok... I mean, start a new thread (don't bury it here in the pics stickies). I'll start it for you.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks Mike!

I'm what you would call "Technology Challenged"...

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got this off of craigslist about a year ago for my 52nd birthday. It's a 2013 LT2000 with a 21hp Gold+ B&S engine, rear bagger, and 46" deck. I've added the dual bar bumper, LED bulbs to the headlights, and I've modified it to mow in reverse. I think this was the best birthday present I ever got for myself. It runs fantastic on 90 octane ethanol free gasoline by the way. Here are a few pics.
Yeah, I kinda like this lawn tractor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Looks sharp! What LED bulbs did you use (source/make/part number)? How do they compare to the incandescent ones (from your perspective)?

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
HobieMarty,

How did you convert the voltage current from DC to AC to run the LED Bulbs?

Where did you get the bulbs, and how much?

That's a SHARP Mower!

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

661 - 680 of 715 Posts