My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked on my buddies rider this morning and the starter will spin but wont turn the flywheel.
Model number:445677
Type:0827 E1
Code:070529YG

I tried spraying the starter gear to see if it would free it up. It helped loosen up but wouldnt contact the flywheel. Is there anything i am missing?

Also if you were standing over the starter looking down which way should it rotate??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
As I pm'd, sounds like the battery is hooked up backwards..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Just got the message. I'll stop by there tomorrow after work and see if thats the issue. Also is there a certain cranking amp rating that should be considered on a twin cylinder?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
General rule, opposed twin briggs, 350cca

Commands, Courage Twins, courage singles, single inteks, intek V-twins...I hit a run on some CHEAP 185cca batteries and ive put them in 25hp applications and most are in their 2nd season without any cranking problems or complaints from customers.

285cca is about the most common battery to use, and I suggest them for most people, usually run about 39 dollars.

The bigger the better...but 285 is more than most engines will ever need (except Opposed briggs twins).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well red I stopped by my buddies place after work and you were right (like there was a doubt). Battery was in backward. He said he put it in the same way the other was but guesses he didnt pay attention to the orientation of the battery.

So I put it in correctly hit the key and it turns the flywheel. Wouldnt start kept stopping where the motor would normally fire up. Looked at the cranking amps and was only 185 on a 24 hp twin motor. Battery is listed right on top good to 12HP.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im gonna put a 350 cca in it. Im not even gonna mess around. Its not a bad mower. Only 277 hours on it. Came with the house. Has a flat front tire though also.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
185cca should have fired it right off. Adjust the valves on both cylinders...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for some reason this particular battery just didn't have that snap to it like others I've use. I even had a jump box on it at one point and made no difference.

I briefly thought about valves buy saw only 277 hours on it so didn't think about it. I will check though.

what is the procedure for doing this on a twin cylinder?? this is the first one I've ever worked on.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
If all is ideal, and the cables are in good shape, and its not COLD...100 amps should fire one ofthese off with relative ease..the starters only draw about 80amps or so. I can put my charger on 40 amps and it will usually start one, or just about start one.

277 hours is quite a bit, honestly..thats about what id expect on a 5-7 year old regularly used mower, and with 277 I can just about promise you the valves are well out of adjustment.

Procedure is pretty simple, remove both valve covers, remove both spark plugs.

Rotate the engine by hand until 1 rocker on 1 side is DOWN...now, using a 9/16" wrench, back off the jamb nut on the OPPOSITE rocker on that side, and use a torx wrench, t25 I think, to spin IN the set screw/adjuster. Slip a .005" feeler gauge between the valve and rocker, and turn in the set screw until the feeler can be JUST moved around with firm resistance. Then without moving the set screw, tighten back down the 9/16" nut...recheck lash. Now rotate the engine again, until THAT rocker is down, and do the same procedure to the opposite valve.

Button up that side, and do the same, to the other side.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So both valves get set at .005? Just wanted to clarify. Also if sitting in front of the motor what way by hand should i rotate it?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will fire up once i do this. I thought valves wete adjusted later than that but glad you cleared it up for me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
place here in town is running a special on batteries 310 cranking amp for $30. 410 for 39.00 wonder how old these are on the shelf?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
310 for 30 is good. try the valves before you blow 30 bucks on another battery though.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
And yeah, all the valves set to 0.005". Briggs spec is Intake .003-.005 and exhaust .005-.007....I do both to .005, never a problem, and it simplifies the procedure, using just 1 feeler.

Does not matter on engine direction.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will for sure. Probably won't get by there until Saturday. I need to buy a torque wrench. Not just for this but I've been needing one for awhile. I want a GOOD one though that's what the hold up has been lol.

I have a kohler 12.5S also on a simplicity. Is the valve procedure the same?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
if its a Command, there is no valve adjustment needed, they run hydraulic lifters like a car...self adjusting, no way to lash.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it is a command. I haven't worked on it since last season. Kinda got aggravated with it and took a break from it. One thing is for sure the coronets are kinda a pain to work on. I'll never buy one again.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I worked on the mower today. Got out there this morning and adjusted the valves. They were off just like ya said. It was the exhaust valves more so than the intake. Re adjusted and tried to fire it up and that battery even with my jump box wouldnt do it. So i put in one that had no issue at all. Asked for a 285, guy said hes out of those but would sell me a 410cca for $10 more. That thing fires up with no issues now.
Changed the plugs, oil, fuel filter, air filter, and gave it another start and wow what a difference. Ran real strong itle was smooth as silk. Went to pull the blades to give a sharpening and wow. These things looked like they were cutting gravel. So it needs new blades for sure. Also cleaned up the ignition coils they were filthy.
Have to figure out how much to charge for all this now. With battery and parts im just under $100, but needs blades. Im thinking double the parts for sure. What ya think??

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
If it were me...

Air filter- 12.99
Oil filter-9.99
Fuel filter-4.99
Oil- 8.00
plugs- 5.98
Blades - im guessing 42"?...probably 2 @ 14.99 each

Service labor- 65 + parts

Adjust valves as part of service, non-MTD (complicated hood removal to access valves), 30.00

Battery 35.99

N/C for batt replacement

So..

65+30 = 95 labor

107.94 in parts

202.94 X 7.5% tax = 15.22 + 202.94

Total 218.16 + any applicable pickup or Delivery charges..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sounds fair. Those valves were picky. Very tempermental to adjust. I did drive and get all stuff needed. Do you charge for cleaning the clumps out of the deck or is that included in labor?

Yes they are 42" blades. I guess sears would have them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts