My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I borrowed my mother-in-law's Craftsman push mower and the head of the bolt that holds the blade to the crank shaft broke off. I have another bolt that matches and I can put it together, but I'm wondering about the blade adapter. It is shown at:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...1&documentId=P0503083&pop=flush&searchCount=1

There's a groove/keyway in the crankshaft, but there's nothing in the blade adapter to hold it in place. From the outside of the blade adapter, there's an impression, but there's no corresponding protrusion on the inside. I suspect there should be one and that it stripped off somehow.

I'm thinking she needs a new blade adapter. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Eric

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Sounds like you'll need another adapter, but you don't have to buy it from Sears. Take what you have to a hardware store or small engine shop to match one up.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
You are correct that nothing holds the blade adapter in place. You can see in this picture the Craftsman-style crankshaft on the Honda engine, on the right in this photo:

You can see the blade adapter setting on the blade below the engine, because it wouldn't stay on the end of the crank. The only thing that holds it on is the blade and the bolt itself. So you're not missing anything...I doubt you even need a new blade adapter. If you can get the broken bolt out of the end of the crank, you should be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts