My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need some help with the deck belt on my Craftsman mower. The old one started slipping real bad. I've had the mower for 3 years and my grandfather bought it new several years ago. I don't know if he ever changed the belt (probably), but I have not. I think it stretched.

I don't have the users manual so I went to Sears to get the proper replacement. They gave me part #71-24104. The packaging says "fits all craftsman 42-inch tractors prior to 2000 (source 71)".

It also says that it "replaces manufacturer's part #144200". I was able to find a parts list online and the manufacturers part number for the V-belt in the manual is 130969.

I tried to install this belt and it seems to be a few inches too short. Does anybody have any experience w/ this tractor and deck belt? Am I installing this thing wrong or is it actually the wrong part?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Scott

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The belt you would need is the #130969. they dont cross..

FWIW. Sears belts arn't made of voodoo and gold like they price them to be.. Go to a local napa or other good auto parts store with your old belt. Have them measure it, and get you a belt.. be about $10 cheaper and once you know the generic belt length/ number. Then you could go anywhere for a belt

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
NAPA can also cross ref the old belt numbers to their belt line. Kevlar wrapped (green) is their best. If not an on-the-shelf item, it can be there overnite usually.

Yup. Belts do stretch.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Make sure you get a belt rated for outdoor or agricultural equipment and designed for clutching applications. Those belts will typically be made of kevlar and will hold up better wear wise and won't stretch as much as fractional horsepower or automotive belts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts