My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and writing from the great white north (juste North of Vermont in Quebec :D).

I'm looking to buy a used riding lawn mower and came across a 2006 LT2000 with the Intek vtwin 23 ohv with a snowblower attachment.
Since I know nothing about tractors I called a repair shop and they don't recommend using this lawn tractor in winter because of the cold Quebec temperatures that can go down to - 30f.
They told me that it would never start in those temperature and that the tranny will never become hot enough for the tractor to move.

Model is 944.605931

What do you Experts think about this?
My thinking is that if they sell a snow blower attachment it shouldn't be a problem using it in winter but I may be wrong..

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
128 Posts
coldest I've seen here in Deerfield ,Mass was 20 below ....tractor started and moved snow fine !! you just got to let them warm up and get the hydraulic oil moving ! besides , if it's 30 below zero , I doubt your going to be running around in short's and a tee shirt !!! owners manuels tell you what oil to run below freezing do it and you'll be fine !

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Where will you be storing it? As long as the inside temperature is around freezing or slightly above you should have no problems. Replace the battery if it is more than 3 or 4 years old and use a name brand 10W-30 oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coldest I've seen here in Deerfield ,Mass was 20 below ....tractor started and moved snow fine !! you just got to let them warm up and get the hydraulic oil moving ! besides , if it's 30 below zero , I doubt your going to be running around in short's and a tee shirt !!! owners manuels tell you what oil to run below freezing do it and you'll be fine !
Yeah 30 below is freaking cold, hopefully it's only a couple of days over the winter.

Thanks for the answer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where will you be storing it? As long as the inside temperature is around freezing or slightly above you should have no problems. Replace the battery if it is more than 3 or 4 years old and use a name brand 10W-30 oil.
It would be stored in an unheated garden shed built on concrete slab.

I've read that switching to synthetic 5W-30 could help a lot in winter. Does it make sense?

Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Switching to snowblower seasonal changeover does require changing the summer oil for example SAE 30 if the mower has a B&S engine to using a thinner viscosity 10W30 oil as previously mentioned
This info is in attachment Manual:).

·
Registered
Kioti cs2220 with FEL
13 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and writing from the great white north (juste North of Vermont in Quebec :D).

I'm looking to buy a used riding lawn mower and came across a 2006 LT2000 with the Intek vtwin 23 ohv with a snowblower attachment.
Since I know nothing about tractors I called a repair shop and they don't recommend using this lawn tractor in winter because of the cold Quebec temperatures that can go down to - 30f.
They told me that it would never start in those temperature and that the tranny will never become hot enough for the tractor to move.

Model is 944.605931

What do you Experts think about this?
My thinking is that if they sell a snow blower attachment it shouldn't be a problem using it in winter but I may be wrong..

Thanks for the help!
Wow. That is cold for sure. I’m in northern New Hampshire and the cold definitely causes me some issues with equipment in the winter. Even with a snowblower. All my equipment is also in cold shed storage. Just like all other equipment I think you’ll be fine as long as you can get it started. Lower viscosity oil and battery tender. Sometimes I’ll run a buddy heater on for a while before starting if it’s realllly cold. Once running, the hydrostatic will be super slow but will warm up.
I wonder if a cheap stick on block heater may be a good thing to plug in the night before to keep the engine just warm enough?

·
Registered
880 Posts
5W-30 Synthetic year round, simplify life. Drop lite and old blanket work well. Make sure it's a real bulb and not a fluorescent if you want any heat. After use in snow there will probably be salt and snow on the LT and blower which will freeze and make life very interesting, another use for the droplight and blanket. I used to live in Oswego, NY and those temps were routine along with lake effect snow, thunder and lightning with white outs and other fun winter stuff. Don't miss it. :)

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
Storing it in a shed, just a light bulb would raise the temp enough make a difference in getting it started. But even if it's not heated, you still should be able to start it.

Choke, a clean fuel system, and a good battery/wiring, generally does the job for me doing snow removal in Edmonton, AB, and while the equipment is stored in an insulated but normally unheated garage, it gets trailered around during the day, so it will cool off to ambient temp several times between jobs where different equipment is being used. And when it gets really cold (below -30C), I sometimes will have to break out the starter spray to get something going.

·
Super Moderator
22,981 Posts
Engine oil , 5W-30, transmission oil, 5W50 synthetic, both for all year service. A 60 watt incandescent trouble light laying beside the engine will melt snow on a tarp covered indoor/outdoor carpet remnant covering the hood and draped down almost to ground level.down to about -20°F.

The downfall of LED and fluorescent lights is that they produce mostly light with little heat. Incandescent lights produce 90% heat and 10% light.

A tractor with a thrower/blower will not ice up if kept in an unheated environment unless the tractor exhaust is blowing on the implement. For those who keep their snow removal equipment in a heated garage, once the engine is started, move it outside for 10-20 minutes without getting it into too much snow to let the metal cool down to avoid icing problems.

I suggest that the guys at that repair shop change smoking materials. I've started and run my GT at -30° F in open air storage with the trouble light and tarp. Yes, the hydraulics are sluggish until they have generated some heat by working to move snow. It takes about 20 minutes to get up to an acceptable operating temperature of 70 - 100° , depending on the ambient temperature. Normal operating temperature is 120 - 180° F in the summer.

Reactions: GrassRider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Switching to snowblower seasonal changeover does require changing the summer oil for example SAE 30 if the mower has a B&S engine to using a thinner viscosity 10W30 oil as previously mentioned
This info is in attachment Manual:).
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. That is cold for sure. I’m in northern New Hampshire and the cold definitely causes me some issues with equipment in the winter. Even with a snowblower. All my equipment is also in cold shed storage. Just like all other equipment I think you’ll be fine as long as you can get it started. Lower viscosity oil and battery tender. Sometimes I’ll run a buddy heater on for a while before starting if it’s realllly cold. Once running, the hydrostatic will be super slow but will warm up.
I wonder if a cheap stick on block heater may be a good thing to plug in the night before to keep the engine just warm enough?
Thanks for the tips!
Pardon my french but.. What's a cheap stick? 🙄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
5W-30 Synthetic year round, simplify life. Drop lite and old blanket work well. Make sure it's a real bulb and not a fluorescent if you want any heat. After use in snow there will probably be salt and snow on the LT and blower which will freeze and make life very interesting, another use for the droplight and blanket. I used to live in Oswego, NY and those temps were routine along with lake effect snow, thunder and lightning with white outs and other fun winter stuff. Don't miss it. :)
Looks like switching to 5W-30 synthetic year round really simplify things.
Plus drop lite/block heater, battery tender and tarp everything should start smoothly.

I live in a rural area close to the Green Mountains north of Vermont, winters certainly spice things up but the view is incredible :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Storing it in a shed, just a light bulb would raise the temp enough make a difference in getting it started. But even if it's not heated, you still should be able to start it.

Choke, a clean fuel system, and a good battery/wiring, generally does the job for me doing snow removal in Edmonton, AB, and while the equipment is stored in an insulated but normally unheated garage, it gets trailered around during the day, so it will cool off to ambient temp several times between jobs where different equipment is being used. And when it gets really cold (below -30C), I sometimes will have to break out the starter spray to get something going.
I'll certainly keep all the mechanics and wiring under good working order.
It will be my first winter here so I wonder how cold it gets in the storage shed.
I might look into bringing 220v in there to install some heater eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Engine oil , 5W-30, transmission oil, 5W50 synthetic, both for all year service. A 60 watt incandescent trouble light laying beside the engine will melt snow on a tarp covered indoor/outdoor carpet remnant covering the hood and draped down almost to ground level.down to about -20°F.

The downfall of LED and fluorescent lights is that they produce mostly light with little heat. Incandescent lights produce 90% heat and 10% light.

A tractor with a thrower/blower will not ice up if kept in an unheated environment unless the tractor exhaust is blowing on the implement. For those who keep their snow removal equipment in a heated garage, once the engine is started, move it outside for 10-20 minutes without getting it into too much snow to let the metal cool down to avoid icing problems.

I suggest that the guys at that repair shop change smoking materials. I've started and run my GT at -30° F in open air storage with the trouble light and tarp. Yes, the hydraulics are sluggish until they have generated some heat by working to move snow. It takes about 20 minutes to get up to an acceptable operating temperature of 70 - 100° , depending on the ambient temperature. Normal operating temperature is 120 - 180° F in the summer.
Awesome thanks for the reply and all the tips!
Looks like I'll get myself that LT for year round fun :)

·
Registered
Kioti cs2220 with FEL
13 Posts
Thanks for the tips!
Pardon my french but.. What's a cheap stick? 🙄
Sorry, cheap referred to the price on say Amazon. Stick is referring to a stick on block heater pad. It’s just a rubber mat that sticks on one side and plugs into 110v extension cord on the other. Just look up block heaters and something will come up. Sorry for the confusion

1 - 20 of 26 Posts