My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19.5hp Craftsman LT1000 917-271821. It appeared to seize up - I was able to turn the shaft from below - but now when you try to start I can see the starter popup and turn the shaft but the motor will not start - just see the shaft spinning. Blown engine? or is there another simple test / fix?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
DOes it have an electric pto clutch if so take it off probably froze up

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could be a weak starter motor, I have seen those go plenty of times on twins. Can you turn it over by hand with the screen a few revolutions ok?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have a 19.5hp Craftsman LT1000 917-271821. It appeared to seize up - I was able to turn the shaft from below - but now when you try to start I can see the starter popup and turn the shaft but the motor will not start - just see the shaft spinning. Blown engine? or is there another simple test / fix?
What shaft are you seeing spin? If it's the starter's shaft, then the starter's drive is sticking/bad. If it's the crankshaft that's spinning, the motor is not seized. If the motor is being spun by the starter, then you need to check some other things, like: Is there spark? Gas in the carb? Compression?
Get back to us, we'll help all we can!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see the starter spin and the flywheel on top spinning.
I don't have a compression gauge but took a plug out and tried starting and didn't really feel anything pulling so assume there is no compression if I'm doing it right.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
You could just put your thumb over the plug hole and crank the engine (watch out for the plug wire - it bites!). You'll feel if there's any compression - should be around 90 PSI. If there's no compression, you have a bad valve(s), holed piston, or broken connecting rod. If no compression, hold a pencil a few inches into the plug hole, and SLOWLY turn the flywheel. If the piston is moving, it will come up and push the pencil out.
You could also remove the valve cover and see if the valves are being operated by the cam, but that won't tell you if you have a bad valve. Check the valve clearances while you're there - if a valve is being held open you'll not have compression.
Let us know...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Perhaps you have sheared off the flywheel key. That would explain your seeing the flywheel spin and the shaft turn from below.

Mark the position of the flywheel or the shaft below, turn the other one and see if the marked part turned. If no, it's probably the flywheel key. If yes, something else is wrong.

RB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts