My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman LT 2000 model lawn tractor. The belt broke the other day, so I replaced it. I thought I got it all back together properly, but now... The blades wont turn if I have the blade height set to #1 or #2. If I have the blade height set to #3, the blade turns but kills when I try to cut. If I have the blade height set to #4 or #5, it takes longer for the blade to engage but it does cut ok. What could be wrong?

·
MTF Gold Poster
95 Posts
What changed is a question I ask when things dont work.

A belt was changed, was it the right belt? Is it the proper length, is the v size right

Did the belt get put on right. There is a diagram on the deck or in the manual showing how the belt goes on.

My guess is wrong belt, but I can't look at the deck. As the deck goes up in height it works, on lower levels it wont work. Could be the wrong size belt

·
Registered
278 Posts
The belt broke the other day, so I replaced it.
What could be wrong?
Wrong belt is the most obvious issue.
Do you have a Sears manual with part numbers?

Long way Around Method:
Find someone LOCAL with a YT2000 who wants (or needs) to replace their belt.
Get the old one from them, compare it to what you have...
and put THAT one on. See what works or doesn't.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Sounds like not the proper belt. It's either too thin or too long, or a fan belt. Or, the belt is run outside the belt keepers, instead of inside them. Check the routing again. Also, did the spring on the idler assembly (keeps the belts tight) come detached from the deck?

My 'tan' colored LT2000, 2004 vintage, no. 917.273180, 'automatic', 17.5hp Kohler, 42", shows a Sears belt no. 140294 for the main drive belt, and a no. 144959 for the mower deck belt.

I use NAPA green wrapped belts. The ordinary rubber 'fan' belts don't work, they're too thin and aren't strong enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts