My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad brought up my Craftsman II (model 502.254260) yesterday and I got to use it for the first time. Unfortunately it looks like the 12hp engine might be a Tecumseh and not a Briggs but I can live with that.

Does the 6-speed variable speed drive work by combining controlled braking and drive belt tension? The lever is very loose in the 4 high speeds and only seems to work for the 2 lowest, and when I looked underneath I got the impression that some parts or linkage might be missing. Also, operating the lever from high to low seemed to add slack to the drive belt.

With the shift-on-the-fly lever in high position the tractor doesn't go as fast as expected with the transmission in Hi. Does the VSD default to the highest possible speed if for some reason it's not working? The drawings in the manual don't show the detail I'm looking for so if someone happens to have a photo of the VSD linkage it'd be really helpful. Thanks!

Overall the tractor seems to be working OK although I think I might need to put a new float in the carb. I was working it hard yesterday and expected it to do a little better but once I get the grass down to a manageable level future mowings should be easier. Plus it seems pretty loud, too.

Brad

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some clickable thumbnails. My dad thinks the tractor either wasn't used very much (maybe after one of the blade spindles got bent) or was taken care of fairly well, and the exterior corrosion could be from outdoor storage.

Brad

·
Banned
2 Posts
it could be that the belt needs to be changed and VSP needs a little lube they do get rusty from sitting i use trany fluid and use a spray bottle to apply it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts