1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video Review Version...

Click here to see Video

Written Review Version...

I'm sure everybody has used a wheel barrel before and they are handy to have but they do have their limmitations. They are not able to haul loads above 300 pounds because they ride on one tire. The other limmitation is yourself, just how much weight do you think you can push for a certain distance? And how much weight do you think you will be able to push up a hill? Wheel barrels are great for small jobs but just don't make sence for the larger projects.

This is a Craftsman/Husqvarna 12.5 CU. FT. Dump Cart. It runs on a 1" axle with 16" tires. It has a load capacity of 12.5 CU. FT. heaping amount and a weight capacity of 750 pounds. Because this is a polly cart, they are able to mold it so there is slots to convert it into smaller compartments if you want to keep two items seperate. This design also allows it to be rust free, cause its plastic not metal.

I recently used this cart to haul at least 1200 pounds worth of gravel in two loads of course. Since gravel weighs a lot, I did not want to overload the cart so I did not fill it up heaping but I have to say I am impressed as the axle never bent and nor did the tires deflate. In other words, I truly believe this cart can be loaded to its rated weight capacity of any type of material.

I have also used this cart to haul away yard waste, if you liked your wheel barrel before for that sort of thing, your really going to like this! It holds so much more then your wheel barrel and can reduce your amount of trips to your compost pile by 50%. And because of its dump mechanism, weather yard waste or other material, makes unloading a breese.

The only bad thing I can say about it is if you have a bagger system installed on your tractor, the cart may not clear the bagger framework. And even if it does, such as my tractor, you can't dump from the tractor because part of the cart is bellow the bagger's framework, which means you would have to unhitch to operate the dump mechanism. Craftsman can solve this problem by having a longer drawbar.

This cart currently can be bought from Sears for $170.00 bucks and I give this a 4 out of 5

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I like your video and review. slkpk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought this 12.5cf dump cart a few weeks ago and love it. Interestingly, in a Husqvarna/Cub dealer store yesterday, I saw the exact same cart for sale but there with an "Ohio Steel" logo decal on the front instead of the "Craftsman" label from Sears -- they must be the manufacturer. Their price was the same as the 2009 online Sears price of $249.99

I had some red oak flooring strips left over from house remodel work that I did some time ago and used that wood to make the three sided rails that extend up 13 inches around the sides of the bed. There are three molded slots to accept the vertical slats on each side of the tub, and two slots on the front. (With a light coat of stain and polyurethane, this cart actually looks pretty dressed up! Of course, since it was a rainy day, I had time to play with it by removing the unnecessary tongue from the flooring stock, and to round the edges off and cut a couple decorative bead grooves with the router too.)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
^ Nobody makes their own accessories like dump carts, lol. All the companies buy them from whatever chinese plant produces the cheapest one and has them paint their name on it. You work in retail for a while, you'd be surprised how many companies don't have anything to do with half the stuff with their brand name plastered all over it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just picked up a used 12.5 cu.ft. poly cart yesterday off of Craigslist for $100. I think it's a good looking cart. I had been shopping around for quite a while and wasn't impressed with the steel carts. This cart that I bought is on sale right now for $231.99. No way was I going to pay that much for a cart. Thank God for Craigslist. The plastic carts seem more impact resistant and weatherproof. I'm having a problem downloading a manual for it, but hopefully Sears "research" department will call me back next week with a solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts