My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Last week I picked up a mid-to-late '90s Haban 2-stage garden tractor snow thrower. It's a 46" cut, Sears Craftsman model 842.242560. I scanned the manual to PDF and put it here: http://www.feep.org/~josh/mtf/sears_craftsman_842.242560.pdf

Here's someone else's (I'll take photos of mine soon):

First of all, holy cow is this a heavy unit. It just blows away (ha) every other garden tractor snow blower I've seen in terms of heavy construction and robust driveline. It uses a short belt off the engine PTO, and then a 90-degree gearbox, shaft drive to the front, and then a chain and sprockets (with an idler!) to drive the auger and impeller.

Anyway, my snow thrower is complete except for the skid shoes. I believe the former owner had removed them for some reason and then lost them. I've been looking around for a replacement (Haban 22668 or Agri-Fab AGR-HA22668), but haven't come across anyone with these yet in stock. Any ideas for tracking down a pair?

Does anyone else here have one of these units? If so, and I can't find a set of skid shoes, would one of you be kind enough to measure yours and/or take some good photos so I can fabricate a set?

More to follow...

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
That sure is a BIG one !! As big as the Bolens Large Frame two stage model ..

I have the Bolens one .. I wonder if the skids are the same and would work for yours ??

If no one else can help .. I'll look at mine and see if they may work for you .. BUT its buried in an enclosed trailer .. with LOTS of other stuff around it ..

Have you tried to search e-bay for Snow Blower Skids ? Or skid shoes ?

Might not be an exact match .. but I'm sure you can find something you can make work :fing32:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sure is a BIG one !! As big as the Bolens Large Frame two stage model ..

I have the Bolens one .. I wonder if the skids are the same and would work for yours ??
Hey, that's a great idea. I hadn't considered using other manufacturers' part numbers to see if there are parts available; I only checked Sears Parts. They have a few parts for this unit, but no skid shoes.

Anyway, I was trying to find a photo of a Bolens two-stage, and came up empty. I think if I could get a look at one, it would be easy to tell if it's a Haban, or at least if the skids are the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, bumping my own thread with some more information.

I did some digging and found that Haban also built at least one blower for Troy-Bilt. Here's a link to parts for a Troy-Bilt 14100: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Troy-Bilt&mn=14100

As can be seen from the parts diagrams, it's the same as mine except for the mounting and drive assemblies. Unfortunately, I can't find any skid shoes using the Troy-Bilt part number either (1773338). Anyone recognize this blower built for any other brands?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was actually just looking at one of these. I noticed that Haban went out of business awhile ago and it seems that most parts are no longer available. Also, I read else where that these have problems with their bearings.

It looks heavy duty but am kind of hesitate due to the parts. Any issue with the parts and bearings?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between the model 842.242561 and model 842.242560?

Thanks,
BWSwede

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am going this morning to get a 42" model 842240511. I will take pics of the skid plates for you with measurements.

The Old goat

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think I might have a set of them I have a snowblower from sear to 46" almost like the one in the pi. I took mine off to let the scrapper blade scrap the blacktop. I just put mine on my x595 did away with belt drive and made it pto shaft drive i think it will sling the snow a lot farther now

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I might have a set of them I have a snowblower from sear to 46" almost like the one in the pi. I took mine off to let the scrapper blade scrap the blacktop. I just put mine on my x595 did away with belt drive and made it pto shaft drive i think it will sling the snow a lot farther now
I have one of the Haban/Craftsman 46" blowers. Trying to install on my 25 hp Craftsman garden tractor but the blower is missing the Front Lift Assembly that connects the blower to the front of the tractor to raise/lower it. When you adapted yours over to the x595 did you use the front lift assembly? If not do you still have it and would you be willing to sell it? SearsPartsDirect doesn't have this part available.

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Last week I picked up a mid-to-late '90s Haban 2-stage garden tractor snow thrower. It's a 46" cut, Sears Craftsman model 842.242560. I scanned the manual to PDF and put it here: ...
Anyway, my snow thrower is complete except for the skid shoes. I believe the former owner had removed them for some reason and then lost them. I've been looking around for a replacement (Haban 22668 or Agri-Fab AGR-HA22668), but haven't come across anyone with these yet in stock. Any ideas for tracking down a pair?

Does anyone else here have one of these units? If so, and I can't find a set of skid shoes, would one of you be kind enough to measure yours and/or take some good photos so I can fabricate a set?

More to follow...
I just got one this fall and am also looking for a part. Mine does have the skid shoes though and can take a picture and some measurements if you still need them.

What I need is measurements and close up pictures of the Front Lift Assembly bracket. Diagram attached below showing it.

Thanks.

Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the lift assembly fixed -- fabricated a new mounting bracket and it will do the job.

Have a new problem though. The auger turns just fine but the stage two blade/fan that lifts the snow up through the chute does not turn. Does anyone know what makes this part turn? Might there be a shear pin/bolt or ???

Thanks.

Ryan

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I don't know about your specific machine, but my 2-stage (Simplicity) has a shear bolt for the blower, as well as 2 for the augers. Usually the shaft that turns the blower turns the augers through a 90° gearbox. If the augers are turning, the blower should be, too. There may be other setups, but I've never seen any different than this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts