My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at a friends house this week and he had a GT6000 sitting behind his shed,I asked about it he said it needed a new starter bendix other than that he said it ran and mowed great.Well I got it started by lifting the bendix into place with a screw driver,and it did run great and it even mowed but the deck mandrels definately have seen their better days.It has a 18hp Kohler with low/high range tranny.Im not too familar with the Craftsman series mowers but I was wondering if this is something worth keeping or is it just another run of the mill mower.I wound up trading 4 pcs of plywood and 8 2x4's for it so I have next to nothing in it,but it is taking up quiet a bit of room in my shop and if its just another run of the mill mower Im gonna sell it but if its a collectors item so to speak I suppose I'll keep it. I already have six other mowers in my shop so my space is becoming limited but I dont want to get rid of something that is a sought after mower.Any knowledge or insight into this is greatly appreciated.Thanks

·
Sears/Craftsman Owner
803 Posts
They are pretty good tractors.I have one that has the 22.5 HP Kohler on in and its a worker.Mine is the hydrostatic tranny instead of the six speed.
Nice looking heard you have there!

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have the same tractor. With a bad starter, I got it for free about 6-7 years ago with a "bad engine" which turned out to be a bad starter. It's a heavy duty machine for sure. I have the 2nd new starter to install one of these days.

It's been sitting for a year. :banghead3

That Kohler MV18 engine is a good one IMHO. I just wish the darn starter would last more the 5-6 years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 2 of them, a hydro and a 6 speed. I plow snow with the hydro and move trailers and stuff around with the 6 speed. I think the Kohler 18 hp is a very nice engine. They are not collectors items but they are good low cost garden tractors and that is the attraction with them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good tractors, the low side 1st gear is a super crawl gear. I like 'em, wish I had one...............someday. Got any pictures?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the info guys,I havent had much time with it.When I got it home I made room for it on the back row in the shop and put it on jack stands cause two of the tires dont hold air for long.I drive for a living but someday gonna get them all out and take some pics of all of them and post them.I gotta quit collecting them though,like the name of that show,Eight is enough well I have ten of them and it seems like when someone gets an old mower they call me.Thats not a bad thing but its hard to say no to an old machine that is built like a tank.You folks helped me make up my mind though I'm gonna keep her and give her a good home.I wonder when I can get started on the resto HMMMMM.Thanks again fellas!!!!:trink39:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
This thread inspired me to get mine running. Pulled the starter and found it was full of water. :Stop: Explains why she would not turn over.

The other starter I had, was not the correct one. New one ordered.

I'm glad to hear your gonna keep yours :fing32:

You can never have too many.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts