My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, not much experience but not scared to make a mistake. I bought a 97 craftsman GT3000 hydro for cheap money, pulled and rebuilt the motor. Put it back in, runs like a top but the tractor won’t move. It is a hydro transmission and it was working just fine before I pulled the motor. I’ve tried purging the transmission, I checked engine speed by tightening the spring on the governor, I’ve replaced the belt and I tried pulling the motor foreword to tighten the pulley. I’m not a hundred percent sure but the belt seems kind of loose. The belt turns the transmission fine When it’s running. I’m not sure but seems loose. Kind of a shot in the dark but I know there’s some experience on here and figured I’d throw it out there. Pictures included because I know you’ll ask.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like you know what you're doing, but I'll throw this simple thing out there just in case. Is the hydro release lever pushed back in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha oh yeah I forgot to mention that one too. I did engage and disengage the lever multiple times to make sure it wasn’t hanging up. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Haha oh yeah I forgot to mention that one too. I did engage and disengage the lever multiple times to make sure it wasn’t hanging up. Thanks for the reply.
I'm sure it's an issue with your belt routing/sizing if it worked prior to your pulling it apart. Either it's routed incorrectly around the pulleys or it's simply the wrong size belt.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the belt is fine. I’m sure the old one is fine too because it worked before the rebuild. I just wanted to make sure. The routing is fine. When you’re laying under the tractor there’s a picture in front of your face and I checked it more times than a normal person would. Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the tip on running the transmission with a drill. I’ll definitely use that.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
With the transmission in neutral, can you push it, roll it around? If it rolls readily, without any mulish obstinacy, then the hydraulics internally are either not working, or the 'roll around' lever has not closed the bypass valve. A hydro will self-brake if you push it into the 'neutral' position. You almost don't need brakes when you want to slow down. The release or 'roll around' lever would not be needed if the hydraulics(pump & motor) are NOT intact. It's a good test to find out the condition, to some degree, of the gizzards. If you can lean on it and get it moving with the engine off(or on, I guess), then the pump or motor or seals are allowing leakage. So, check whether it can be rolled around or not. If not, it's a belt or perhaps key problem. If one of the keys (1/4" square in the axle & wheel) may have gotten sheared and is now allowing the wheel to turn, and prevent driving the other wheel.
tom

Reactions: G-1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts