My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Craftsman 917.273280 with a B&S 407777 0121e4 030325

Resently when the brake/clutch is applied at idle the rpm's increase quite a bit. It will not idle back down until the hydro is engaged either in forward or reverse. It idles smothly at the recommened 1750 rpm otherwise. I have not seen this problem in any of my troubleshooting guides and I am not sure where to start looking.

Is this an electical problem or perhaps something with the govenor? It is not the typical hunting where the rpms go up and down, just an increase in rpm. I do not like to set the parking brake and get of it with the motor running for even just a minute. I'd hate to see a rod come through the block.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this or where to start looking is greatly appreciated.

jhn9840
John

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Sounds like the governor or its linkage is sticking. Perhaps the brake linkage is pushing on the throttle cable when the brake is on. I don't think it's an electrical problem, more like something is interfering with the free movement of the throttle/governor linkage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
jhn9840,

Most likely it is not an electrical problem, but rather a mechanical or fuel delivery problem. It may be sticking linkage on the carb or perhaps a sticking needle valve in the carb. By the way, have you checked/changed the air cleaner recently?

Runningbare

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fcubman/Runningbare,

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I will check out the linkage next chance I get.

I rebuilt the carb over the past winter and I replaced air cleaner, fuel filter, spark plug and put in new fuel line at that time. It ran great until about a week and a half ago when this problem began.

This carb has a fixed main jet and the only adjustment on it is the idle screw.

Thanks again for the suggestions I'll let you know what goes on as soon as I get a chance to check it out.

jhn9840
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts