·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't it slide in splines so the press can move up and down?
Yes it does,,but there is nothing holding it up in there.

There is a small threaded area at the bottom of this spindle,,on the outside. But I don't see how it does any good as far holding it in place,,even if I had a nut to go on it,,,which I do not.

Looking at the parts diagram I still dont see how it works.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I don't know what part 41 or 43 are?? Maybe a bushing ?? I don't have them.

Everything else is there and in great shape.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's a tapered spindle, it just sticks in there with a slight tap of a mallet. You remove it the same way. It makes changing out chucks/tools quick having them on the spindles already.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No,,its not a tapered spindle,,I thought the same thing.

I had the wrong diagram in original post. Have no idea how that happened. But its the same thing but different. LOL Sorry. It's part 39 instead of 40 on this one ,,,,,,and this is the press I have.

I am going to buy part 37-a,,,which is that complete assembly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Part 40 (spindle shaft) turns in parts 43 & 41 (bearings) and is retained in place by part 37 (external snap ring). The bearings are likely press-fit into part 42 (quill tube).

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part 40 (spindle shaft) turns in parts 43 & 41 (bearings) and is retained in place by part 37 (external snap ring). The bearings are likely press-fit into part 42 (quill tube).
I see what you are saying,,,,that's it. Since I don't have them pieces ,,my best route is too just buy the whole assembly and be done with it..

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the quill assembly 2 days ago through Sears parts direct. General shipping,,said I would get it by the 26th.
Well,,I got it today!!! Wow!!! Its is put together and working now.

There were to bearings ,,they go into the housing around the spindle,,I never had them. That is what holds the spindle into the housing,,then the handle lockes into the housing and holds the spindles spline into the pulley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts