My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a craftsman companion 12hp 38" mower model 917.259270. I know they existed because i own it but searching online makes me question. I cant find much info on them anywhere. I did find a post on here that leads me to believe that it is a 1990 but i have not been able to find a manual anywhere. That would be my first request. If anyone has a book on it they could share that would be a big help.
My issue currently is the bagging system. I am using a craftsman bagger, all rigid plastic with 2 hard shell "bags". The system wants to clog almost immediatly. I changed to high lift blades, cleaned out the chute and under the deck. It doesnt matter if the grass is wet or dry.
I did notice the other day that it is throwing grass, i took apart the chute to clear it and forgot to reattach. But as soon as it is connected it doesnt seem to have the oomph to get clippings up to the bag.
Please help if you know anything about these units!
Thanks in advance

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,027 Posts
You're talking about a hard shell bagger, not cloth bags. Can the air get out to allow the grass to be blown in?

Try running with just the bagger chute and no bags/bins. See if the grass shoots out the top of the open chute.

Is the engine RPM high enough ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry LGT,
yes, it is a hard shell bagger. I think i need to clarify what I said before.
the chute is actually 3 seperate pieces; 1 that connects to the deck, a middle piece and the end that slips into the bagger system. when I was mowing the other day i took the deck piece off to clear it and then when i reattached it i didn't notice the the connection between the middle and end pieces had come apart. When i started mowing again i looked over to see grass flying past me so it will throw grass through the chute at least that far.
on the bagger system the only place i see that lets air out is there is like a 3"x20" length of mesh on the lid. this is clear, not obstructed. should there be another place for air to go since it can't ven't through the bags?
thanks for your help

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,027 Posts
That opening should be big enough to let the air out and blow the grass up into the bagger.

After years of bagging our country collection of grasses and weeds I can only suggest thet you may have to go slower to allow the grass to make it up the chute before more follows and clogs it.

If the grass is really long because of the spring rains, as was the case here, you may have to make 2 passes, one at full height, then later a second pass at normal height.

My grass got so out of hand here, (12 to 16") I was down to making passes sometimes only 6-8" wide with a 42" deck, to keep from clogging it up.

The other alternative is to make one pass side discharging the clippings, then make a second pass to bag later, once the clippins have dried in the sun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below are pics of my bagging system showing the segmented sections and then the mesh grid on the back to allow air flow.
I typically mow at the highest setting because of the clogging but that is only about 4in or so. I probably need to adjust the deck but i have been having trouble finding the manual for this model to check the specs

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JiminRI,
thank you, I had found that but the problem is it is just schematics not a full manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts