My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model # 358-351081...... Got it from son when he moved last year. Don't know when it was run last. gas tank was empty. Put in fresh gas with Startron in it and been going out everyday and pulling the rope a few times. Now it pulls easily, but when I press the primer bulb two times gas pours out. Manual says to press 6 times with choke pulled all the way out. I'd like to fix it myself but I don't know anything about small engines ( especially two cycle ). Is this a tough fix ?
Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Model # 358-351081...... Got it from son when he moved last year. Don't know when it was run last. gas tank was empty. Put in fresh gas with Startron in it and been going out everyday and pulling the rope a few times. Now it pulls easily, but when I press the primer bulb two times gas pours out. Manual says to press 6 times with choke pulled all the way out. I'd like to fix it myself but I don't know anything about small engines ( especially two cycle ). Is this a tough fix ?
Thanks in advance for any help
First check for spark, if it has a primer it probably doesn't have points. If you don't have any check the shut-off switch wire, the switch, and coil gap.

Chances are if it's been sitting the fuel lines need replacing, and the carb cleaned/rebuilt. Fuel line and a fuel filter can be found at any parts store cheaply.

Before you do anything, try to hold the saw by its pull cord. If the saw slides down the rope easily it's probably not worth fixing due to low compression. If it slumps down slowly or holds its own weight you should be alright. This is a good trick to keep in mind when dealing with most saws.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to look at the fuel line issue first. I was hoping to find a diagram, but sears doesn't show an online one. If it's not an easy fix, I might just use a handsaw to cut up the tree. It's fallen on the yard, and divides yard in two. Really don't have much use for a chainsaw anymore so if it's not an easy fix, i might just put it out by the road. With my breathing problems it's more work trying to pull the starter cord than it is to handdsaw a little and then rest, saw some more, etc.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have found that .that saw had a problem Igniter in it. Take a NEW plug Try it to verafy that you have spark, . The next problem was the Gas line were it goes into the tank, It just seems to brake off, there. Ti is a time consuming job But they can be done by most any Owner; Or bring it to a repair man and pay him $3.00 dollers per second to repair it. Good luck;; life is good. If not change your view.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as installing new fuel lines goes, you would be looking at approx. 1/2 hour labor, the cost of the fuel line, and probably a new fuel filter. $40-50+ at most shops. A new gas tank body is around $40 and would come with fuel lines and filter already installed, but it's a whole other ballgame of labor involved in swapping that out.

There are some tips and tricks that make the fuel line installation go easily, and with a couple of tools it's something you can do on your own with some patience.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts