My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i have a craftsman lawn tractor i bought in about 2004 with a 25 hp ohv briggs and stratton engine. it recently started running really rough. i checked the owner's manual and then changed the plugs, oil, oil filter, gas filter and air filter. it seems to be running smoother but not perfect; it also seems to have lost power since it was new. when i run it with an open throttle, it is not as fast as it was when it was newer.

does anyone have any thiughts on anything else i can do to improve the performance? does taking it to a mower shop and just saying make it run better please make any sense?

Thanks for any input.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Run some sea foam in it. Clean under the engine shroud. Is the trans-axle a servicable unit?

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,099 Posts
AS above, both cylinders? I'd remove the valve covers and replace the dislodged or bent push rod AFTER checking back here on why that happened.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
61 Posts
As larrybl noted, see what carb adjustments it has, get a user's manual for your engine and adjust the carb per instructions. Still a problem after that, make sure both cylinders are firing (I do this by pulling the plug, connect the spark plug wire to the plug and lay the plug so the thread is grounded to the engine ... crank a few times and see if you see a spark) ... repeat with other plug. While you have them out recheck the plug gap.
Still a problem ... do a compression test on each cylinder and see if it's up to specifications.

If you really feel like spending an unknown amount of money ... take it to a shop and say "fix it" ... they'll either be one of the good, honest repair shops or someone who will say it needs a new engine and charge you a bit more than a grand ... unless, of course, you already know and trust a shop. Have them check it out and call you before replacing something major.
Most shops have no problem with that. If they do ... that's a red flag right there.

Best of luck on getting 'er running smooth.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts