My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Craftsman 3000 yesterday about 4 or 6 years old. It was free so I took it even though it had a hole in the side of the engine. The tractors I usually play with are all older machines so this is the first newer Briggs engine I have dealt with.

Engine is a 20hp single cylinder Vortek. Very cheaply made. The upper case is not even 1/8 inch thick. I took it out of the tractor and much to my surprise, I could easily carry it with one hand. I have a 18hp twin cylinder Briggs I am going to try to put in it. Will probably have to mount it sideways because of the size of the muffler. Has anyone done this before.

I probably would not fool with it at all, but it is a very clean machine and was garage kept.

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Not sure I've ever heard of a Vortek small engine....do you mean Intek? I think vortec is a chevy thing....anyhow you will probably have to rewire the switches for that 18HP if it's an opposed twin, but I put an 18 HP opposed twin on my '04 GT5000 and haven't looked back since. My motor wasn't blown tho, I just wanted the 25HP Kohler for my racing mower.

I think you would be better off mounting the motor as it should be mounted and fabricating a new exhaust. You can fab an exhaust easily with a very small welder.

Another thing to consider is engine crankshaft lenght. My Kohler had a longer crankshaft than normal because of the electric PTO clutch.....I didn't put the deck back on so I didn't worry about reinstalling the electric clutch. If you intend on mowing with it and that tractor has an electric clutch this may be a problem you run in to.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I've ever heard of a Vortek small engine....do you mean Intek? I think vortec is a chevy thing....anyhow you will probably have to rewire the switches for that 18HP if it's an opposed twin, but I put an 18 HP opposed twin on my '04 GT5000 and haven't looked back since. My motor wasn't blown tho, I just wanted the 25HP Kohler for my racing mower.

I think you would be better off mounting the motor as it should be mounted and fabricating a new exhaust. You can fab an exhaust easily with a very small welder.

Another thing to consider is engine crankshaft lenght. My Kohler had a longer crankshaft than normal because of the electric PTO clutch.....I didn't put the deck back on so I didn't worry about reinstalling the electric clutch. If you intend on mowing with it and that tractor has an electric clutch this may be a problem you run in to.
You are right it is an Intek. Actually this is the first single cylinder 20hp I have ever seen. It does not have and electric PTO. In most cases the shaft of Briggs engines in these small tractors are the same diameter and if so, I will use the pulley from the 20hp. Wiring will not be a problem. All I need is the schematic and I will download it as soon as I go back out to the shop and get the number off of it. Too hot out there right now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When you say " sideways" do you mean making a horizontal to vertical? Becouse you would need to switch the crank case.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say " sideways" do you mean making a horizontal to vertical? Becouse you would need to switch the crank case.
No, I know you can't do that. I ment turning the engin 90 degrees so the exaust comes out from the side. I have done this before and it works good.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I put the 18hp twin opposed cylinder which is about 15 years old into the 2006 Craftsman 3000. Very easy fit. All I need to do is get a longer throttle cable. I found a choke cable in the shop that fits perfectly. The 20hp did not use a choke cable. Will put a new fuel line with cut off valve and filter in line and be ready to go. Used the pulley from the 20hp and even all the belts fit. Will post photos later.
Nick

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good, that twin will probably outlast most newer stuff.
Yes it will. Now, do I keep it or turn it into cash, to buy a real tractor? Right now, I think I will keep it at least until the spring. Seems to be the best time to sell a grass cutter. That is really all this one is good for. On the other hand, I have several projects I am working on right now and at least two waiting after I finish them. So I don't really need another project tractor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts