My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the wire from Amazon today. Connector is the same as the one on the lawn mower. Only one wire has the diode, I was expecting both to have a diode. Now that I know the head light bulbs will handle AC or DC voltage then one diode will work. New wire installed I now have 12.5 DC volts going to the battery and 11.5 AC volts going to the head lights (at full throttle). Not sure if the 12.5 DC going to the battery is enough to keep it charged but will run through the summer and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the responses.
Regards

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Check the voltage on the battery before you start it. Then start it and read the voltage. You should see a higher number when it's running. On mine with that dual system usually it's only a few tenths higher but gradually increases until at least a half to one volt higher than the pre-start level. If it's exactly the pre-start or lower then you have a charging problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
At rest battery has 12.59 volts. After driving it around a bit then testing again while running it has 12.58 volts. I was driving it around at idle then tested it at fully throttle. I will keep an eye on it if it gets lower than 12.5 volts, it would appear a new stator will be needed, but i will call it good for now. Got other projects to get to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Check the voltage on the battery before you start it. Then start it and read the voltage. You should see a higher number when it's running. On mine with that dual system usually it's only a few tenths higher but gradually increases until at least a half to one volt higher than the pre-start level. If it's exactly the pre-start or lower then you have a charging problem.
Will your tractor run if you disconnect the battery?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts