My Tractor Forum banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
New parts came in, all looks good and I may be able to make at least one good spare, need to hit the hardware store for some new blade bolts and washers, forgot those.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Ok, question time. I went to TS, Napa, Richards, and Fastenall (which no longer sells individual) looking for grade 8 spindle bolts, closest I got was grade 5 at Ace. Should I.....

Re Use the Grade 8's
Use the Grade 5's
Order the correct ones?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I would use the Grade 5 bolts. I think they are still a lot stronger than the aluminum spindle housings.
Cannon

·
15,000 +posts!
19,712 Posts
You wont break any grade 5 bolts on a riding mower...even grade 2 would be stronger than the die cast spindle housings..cars & trucks use mostly grade 5 bolts even on critical suspension parts...grade 8's sometimes can shear being harder and more brittle in some applications,the grade 5's have a little "give" so they will tend to bend before snapping..

·
Hoosier Daddy
778 Posts
I would use the Grade 5 bolts. I think they are still a lot stronger than the aluminum spindle housings.
Cannon
100%. The ears break off the spindle housings before the bolts go; I've seen several.
That said, I doubt I'd get too worried about the bolt grade providing any kind of weak point.

·
Premium Member
8,023 Posts
I try to use Grade 8, or at least Grade 5, whenever possible when replacing hardware on OPE, because I think it is less likely to rust and round off. Am I nuts?

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Nice day today so I got an early start after breakfast. Moved everyone out so to have some elbow room in the shop.
I ran the self-tapping bolts into the mandrills, then backed them out. Blew out the chips and use Anti-seize on them.
Manual calls for 27 – 35 ft-lb for the blade bolts, (I used the new grade 5’s) and torqued them to 32 ft-lb.
Top ¾ nuts were cinched with the impact. All ready to mount except for three deck pins, waiting on paint to dry on those.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Deck installed and adjusted per the manual as good as I can get it. The abused deck and linkages are a little tweeked still. Next mowing will tell if I have more adjustment to do. Still need to install tail lights, wires are already run, just haven't found a pair that I like yet. RED is up next for a late winter re-fresh. I'll start a separate thread as this one is about ready for the archives.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
Seeing I am about to archive this thread, here is 7 - 1/2 Months in 4 - 1/2 Minuets.

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
We did a maiden voyage to a local event. 6 - 7 mile round trip. He said it runs and drives great!

Attachments

341 - 353 of 353 Posts