My Tractor Forum banner

301 - 320 of 352 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I decided to take care of some cosmetic issues on the deck tonight in the shop. Dented lip and a gash. Tried heat and vice grips, it moved a little. Hey, I now have a press. Hardest part was getting things to line up. A large impact socket and dent is gone. Grinded the gash and applied JB. I’ll probably us the rest of the JB tomorrow on the welding underneath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Looking good, Larry! Sorry about the rant earlier, obviously struck a nerve!

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
No worries.
Final prep and sanding. 220 grit and wet sanded. Washed with simple green, and rinsed well. only in the 60's today so I let it sit in the sun to dry and warm up. Two cans of black Magic paint, one on each side. A can gives 3 - 4 coats. I think the deck shell has been saved!
Waiting on more parts, I'll clean up the small parts this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,956 Posts
It's amazing what sun and time can do to paint. It's also amazing to see something like that brought back to its former glory. Nice job!

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Getting off my feet for a while. Picked up some plastic weld, a different brand. Only needed one tube to fill in the gash. After cleaning and painting it looks pretty good. Nice day so I moved out side to wire wheel and clean parts. Changed over to black paint, then silver. Waiting on the mandrels, blades, and deflector to come in. Won't take long to assemble.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Hey Larry, I think I've seen your spring stretching paint jig before. What kind of paint is flexible enough to not flake off as springs are used on something like a mowing deck?

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #310

·
Registered
861 Posts
Krylon metallic seems to do well. Planning on doing new hardware fasteners also.
If you decide you want to try to save any of the fasteners, evapo-rust is a great product. When I redid my Buick 350 last year, i bought a gallon of evapo-rust and a black phosphate coating kit and redid a bunch of the nuts and bolts. I did use new ARP bolts for some stuff but it probably saved me $100 or more in hardware.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Using evapo-rust to clean up some old toy train tracks that my wife is toying with. For restored nuts and bolts I wire wheel with a dremel and paint with Krylon metalic.

·
Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Thanks guys. No shortage of knowledge shared on this site!

Mike

·
Registered
861 Posts
Using evapo-rust to clean up some old toy train tracks that my wife is toying with. For restored nuts and bolts I wire wheel with a dremel and paint with Krylon metalic.
You must be a lot more patient than I am, lol.

I really like the Evapo-Rust stuff. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I change out every few months. It did a great job on some really heavy scale that was built up on my crank pulley. I don't have a blasting cabinet but evapo-rust seems to be the next best thing. It's really great now that you can buy it a most auto parts stores and Amazon. Grainger used to be the only place that sold it.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Ace hardware has it, I got a gallon, kinda expensive but Wife likes the results. I may try and get a couple pictures.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
She picked up a box of old train stuff at the local Girls $ Boys club for $1.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ace hardware has it, I got a gallon, kinda expensive but Wife likes the results. I may try and get a couple pictures.
Yeah usually right around $25 a gallon if you are buying it retail. Grainger used to sell it a little cheaper but I was buying multiple 5 gallon pails at a time which wasn't really convenient for me considering a 5 gallon bucket lasts me anywhere from 2-6 months depending on what I'm working on.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Mandrills and blades are suppo0sed to be here next Tuesday. Still finding bent things, the R deck hanger id about 1/2" bent to the right. This is the one where the bracket was welded twice. Just ran out of silver paint, and needed to source correct hardware as the PO used what ever fit. One of the front attachment links is slightly bent, yep the R one. I'll hold off on trying to straighten these as the attachment points on the tractor may be tweeked also. I should be able to adjust this into level.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Finally figured out what the mystery part went to. I looked for the screws that hold the covers on and they are MIA. I found some that will work, but only have three. I don't like how they will stick out and catch grass, so I plan to go bottom up and fasten with a nut and washer on top. Off to ACE hardware I go.
Oh, 65 degrees and sunny this morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Back from the hardware store, anyone know what would attach to the front of the mower deck? It has these holes on both sides front and back. I plugged them up with spare bolts, and placed the guard hardware on so as not to lose it.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 352 Posts