My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Pictures of the 917.273100, I was doing research at work and it looks like the Transaxle may give me some trouble. I was able to locate the Operators Manual (L0010518) and the Engine Service Manual (CV22S-75534), but all I can find on the (222-3010L) transaxle is a parts breakdown. Looking for service procedures resulted in a mess of "Not Serviceable" to "It can be serviced but not easily".
I do plan on removing the transaxle at some point in the restore process, so this may make it easier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

Making room in the Man Cave to bring this monster in.
So, I pulled the deck to make the tractor smaller to fit in the shop. After blowing the clippings off here is the initial evaluation.

1. Craftsman got away from the fully enclosed belt cover, Yaa
2. Deck shell looks good except for Shute area damage.
3. One plastic shield has a gouge, wonder how that happened. Plastic weld will fix.
4. Dent behind the front roller. Rollers look good.
5. Bottom is clean.
6. One mandrill felt loose, but it looks like the blade bolt is loose.
7. Chute side skid is MIA.
8. Discharge shoot is missing.

Overall, I think this can be repaired with some welding and parts. Still need to check the pullies. Idlers, belts, and mandrills when I dissemble to get the shell repaired.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)

Plan to weed whack in the morning, then pressure wash the tractor and let him dry. then bring him into the shop.

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts

looks like a great deal.

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks All! Pressure washed, and checked things out. Started surprising easy, only idles tho. I think the throttle cable is broke. I tried to move it and it felt like it wanted to but no-go. Dummy me, I forgot to move the free travel lever. Charging the battery again for another try.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks for the correction, I should have looked at the engine tag. I was going by the compliance date. 10 years younger than RED.

Can someone update the thread title?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)

I think the biggest challenge will be fixing the deck. I have a second 50" Craftsman deck but the mounts are different. took a lot of tear down pictures, and PB Blasted all the bolts so to strip down to the shell. Hopefully can find someone that can make this look like my other deck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)

Mower deck is a shell now. Bearings look good... But I'll need to drill 4 bolts out of the mandrills.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts

I think the biggest challenge will be fixing the deck. I have a second 50" Craftsman deck but the mounts are different. took a lot of tear down pictures, and PB Blasted all the bolts so to strip down to the shell. Hopefully can find someone that can make this look like my other deck.
Just beat it back into place and add some metal. Way easier that swapping decks. Plus IT'S FUN! :tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

Glad you and your grandson have another project. Now that the deck is striped down you can beat on it with a hammer until you get it close to it's original shape. I've tried drilling those bolts out of spindle castings before but the results were nothing to be proud of. I wonder if a 48 inch deck would fit, they seem to be more common around here. Following.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)

Working on a replacement shell. I will work on getting the bolts out of the mandrills today, Drill Press is your friend here.

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)

OK, we busted 4 mandrel bolts and a finger yesterday, Here is how I fix these.

This method works well on mandrel through hole broken bolts.

Start off center punching the broken bolt as close to center as possible.

Make the part as level as possible, I used a stack of washers to achieve this.

Use plenty of oil, sharp bits, and clean often. Drill all the way through, and check it didn’t drift.

Step up the drill size till the hole will accept the tap.

Use the same drill / washer setup to “Manually” start the tap in a couple turns.

Finish up by hand tapping, One down three more to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited by Moderator)

Mandrills are drilled and tapped. Dosn't look like the replacement shell will work, so on to Plan B, or C.
I have BOH's orginal deck stored, He is currently using a Free rebuilt 50" deck. I will talk with my neighbor on the feesability of.

(B) Cutting the brackets off the broken deck and welding them on to the good deck. or
(C) Cut the bad area off the bad deck, cut a matching area off the good deck and weld it up.

Either way I'll have spare deck parts.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,120 Posts

been there done that with the broken bolts.

I say cut out the bad, weld in the new. :tango_face_devil:

1 - 20 of 355 Posts