My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

As im digging out more tractors from the inherited pile, I came across a Craftsman 917.272040. Anyone know what the actual model of this is, or when it was made? Is this considered an lt1000? Only sticker it says on it is EZ. Its got a V twin, supposedly runs, but there's a hole in the transmission where it looks like it was driven into a stump or a rock. Looks brand new otherwise. Considering swapping out the transmission with a used unit so its usable.

Thanks all in advance!

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
I don't think they called that particular yard tractor anything at that point (around 1999 or so? (Look at your serial # for the manufactured date code)..

It's more or less a mash-up of their garden tractor (GT) model hood and dash panel with your regular LT1000 tractor chassis.

Later on, they called a similar tractor the DYT4000, though the opposed twin (which is what searspartsdirect shows as the engine for 917.272040 ) wasn't available in them by that point in time.

All that said, transmissions are all pretty much interchangeable in those old craftsman tractors, as long as you stay hydro or gear, and use a gear trans with the same # of gears.
Not saying a 5spd won't fit where a 6spd was or anything; your selector just may not line up.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
You should be able to get a PDF of the owners manual on line. It may not be the exact model number, with a couple of the last digits not matching. Many manuals were the same except for a few details.
If the hole is not in a 'load bearing' area, you might be able to patch it using sheet metal and rivets, or JB Weld. Finding an old one in 'like new' condition internally is not the usual. You can find the transmission model number on a label, the exact position being mfg dependent. Many have them on the rearmost surface, up under the lib of the rear 'fender'. Ya gotta squat down to see. Once you find that, you may find an old unit on C-list, marketplace,etc that has bad gizzards, and you could transfer all the new(old) parts to the other case. The trans axle is likely the thing that will cause retirement of many machines, so don't toss it as the internal parts are becoming less available over time.
tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! I should be bringing it home within the next few weeks. Its actually got a V twin briggs on it not an opposed. Ill check that part of it out then. Is this something that sears would have made a plow or snow blower attatchment for? or is it too small.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts