My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the engine on a Craftsman 917.256531 but it was so long since I took the original engine off that I've forgoten how the throttle/choke lever is supposed to be connected to the carburetor. This is one of those tractors that doesn't have a specific choke lever. Is the choke lever on the carb intended to be left disconnected or is it supposed to be linked with the throttle somehow?

The two wires seen in the second photo logically are to be connected to the throttle, so I'm confused as to what the deal is with the choke.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
I just replaced the engine on a Craftsman 917.256531 but it was so long since I took the original engine off that I've forgoten how the throttle/choke lever is supposed to be connected to the carburetor. This is one of those tractors that doesn't have a specific choke lever. Is the choke lever on the carb intended to be left disconnected or is it supposed to be linked with the throttle somehow?

The two wires seen in the second photo logically are to be connected to the throttle, so I'm confused as to what the deal is with the choke.
You might want to upload the pics of the stuff you are talking about so people can try to better understand what is being discussed. The engine model numbers of the old and new repower engine would be a big help also. Is there a way you can tell if the engine is a Briggs, or Kohler and try finding a service manual somewhere like the Kohler support website?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Kinda sounds like how my early 90's Craftsman 2 is set up. On mine, choke is reached by flipping the throttle lever all the way up, past the "max throttle detent."

If yours is the same rig, I can get you a couple shots of how my carb is hooked up.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I thought I had successfully attatched the pictures. The engine Is a 15hp Briggs 28Q777-0129-01

Vonrow, mine would actually be more like early 2000s at least. If yours has a similar engine a few pictures might be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
choke linkage.jpg I think the choke linkage wire is missing. I drew a pix that kind of looks like it. Notice it hooks onto the plastic choke lever from the underside of the choke lever, with the stub end of the choke linkage as drawn.

wwxx

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Actually, that looks an awful lot like how my 18h MTD/Ranchking is set up. It's pouring small poodles and kittens right now. Once the rain lets up I'll go snap a few shots of my engines for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts