My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure of the exact model but my craftsman looks like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

(kohler 15.5hp w/hydro)

Here is the issue: Worked fine until stored this winter. Now it turns over but no spark. Then I removed what I believe is the start relay - With the relay out it turned over and got spark! So I put the spark plug back in and with the relay out it started but now smoke is billowing out of the exhaust.

The relay is a Hella 4RD 960 388 07

What the heck do you think is going on here?

Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
First, did you set the choke on the throttle? Fresh Gasoline in the tank? How was the oil? How long did/does it smoke?

IF all was ok it almost sounds like there is either too much oil in the engine or it's flooded.

Sometimes if you treat the gas for the winter you can get some smoke until the engine has run it out.... should be just a puff or so.

I have the same mower and I treat it every winter with StaBil then fill the tank. Every spring I get a cloud of smoke when I fire it up. But it doesn't last long and it's gone. OF course I check the Filter and oil level before starting it.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Is that the "operator presence relay" that you removed? I don't know if your machine has one, but if it's bad, it will prevent you from starting, and if I remember right, removing it will allow the engine to start...it could also be a bad seat switch or safety switch.
The smoke could be leftovers from your starting attempts, and may just burn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks guys. I wont panic about the smoke and just run it a bit. There was a lot of cranking, lots of gas, and I did use Stabil. As for the relay, I will just replace it and start again. Geeze, lots of relays - not like my (3) Suburbans!

·
Registered
301 Posts
This motor has two relays to control the safety systems. One relay grounds out the coil (stopping the motor) and the other relay shuts off the carburator relay (killing the fuel supply.) These are standard relays available at any autoparts store.

Reason I know this is I powerwashed my tractor last year and fried one of these relays.

If you killed the coil relay, if you pull the black wire from the relay the motor will start, but will take forever to shut down (only relying on shutting off the carb to stop the engine.)

HTH

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts