My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going after this Saturday "The Craig list post", Said he will tale a 100 cuz I'm driving up from Waco. Same engine on my mower (Attached pictures), Thinking of having the Craigs list one redone on the inside, Rings, valves, cam, etc, then transfer the external parts. My engine does have a knock, but runs fine. The muffler alone is $250.00 if in good shape. Rest will get rebuilt over the winter, and then a quick swap.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/1956276113.html
what do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said so, Kind a mute point as I plan on a rebuild. Will make dure not locked up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
kinda had the same idea you had.....a guy i know was selling a complete motor like that for $25(yes i mean $25) my plan was to use it for parts since i had 3 more well i got it cleaned it off real good and decided to see if it ran first and it did ran real good the only problem was the carb. needed cleaned and it had a tick in it(found out it was a valve that was new and was not seated with any clearance in it at all) the motor is now in my new pulling tractor. but i would make sure the motor dosent have a rod broke or something if not i would go for it.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Make sure if it doesnt run that the exhaust valve seats are not popped out in the block. This was very common with these twin cylinders. If it has a popped seat, you have just inherited yourself a big paper weight.

The engine may run on one cylinder, so start the engine and engage the blades, if the engine dies its only running on one cylinder.

a block with a popped seat can not be rebuilt.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
My mtd has pretty much the same engine in it (16 hp). I might get an engine out of a GT6000 to put in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd say go for it as long as the price seems right to you. **** i only paid $40 for my whole 88 like yours, and all it needed was new fuel and vac line to/from the fuel pump lol.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only paid $80.00 for the mower orginally, Going after the second side shaft engine as these are rare in these parts, and I want to restore this on the inside, move the outside parts over to it, then restore the orginal moter, can't beat having a spare.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The engine is $400 That is way too much!

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine is $400 That is way too much!
Where you see $400? Add list as $125, and when I called he said would take $100. And yes he will start it.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My mtd has pretty much the same engine in it (16 hp). I might get an engine out of a GT6000 to put in it.
Horozantal shaft? Front drived the PTO, back drives the transaxle. I think yours is a vert shaft like my Red mower. altho it is a 18.5 hp

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Horozantal shaft? Front drived the PTO, back drives the transaxle. I think yours is a vert shaft like my Red mower. altho it is a 18.5 hp
No my big MTD that is shaft driven and hydrolic lift (In my avatar) has a Horizontal (Side Shaft) but havent added it to my sig. $400 was what the guy wanted for the 18 HP GT6000 engine. In my opinion way too much. The flywheel side runs my mower deck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
kinda had the same idea you had.....a guy i know was selling a complete motor like that for $25(yes i mean $25) my plan was to use it for parts since i had 3 more well i got it cleaned it off real good and decided to see if it ran first and it did ran real good the only problem was the carb. needed cleaned and it had a tick in it(found out it was a valve that was new and was not seated with any clearance in it at all) the motor is now in my new pulling tractor. but i would make sure the motor dosent have a rod broke or something if not i would go for it.
Tater how doe's that engine perform in your puller?? have the same one and thinking about using it in the one i'm building

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
I have one that I just did a ring & valve job on, excellent cylinder bore, I expect to get $350 exchange out of it or $400 out right. As said above, these are about as scarce as hen's teeth. In years of rebuilding engines, I would say there is probably a 40 to 1 ratio between vertical shaft and horizontal shaft engines. I get calls all time from people looking for horizontal shaft engines.

Walt Conner

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sandhill... does real good for what it is it might be my new favorite play toy now(still doesn't have the power my first one i built.(24hp onan in a cub cadet) the first time i pulled it it pulled better than i thought it would and the tractor was kinda pieced together. but the motor was just recently rebuilt to .20 over so that helps but im real happy with i cant wait until next year when i can really test it out, first time was kinda a test hook to make sure it would all work and i ended up winning the class. What kinda tractor are you putting this motor in?

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the Engine, Barted to $60.00 and a Radio Shack Police Scanner. It was pouring rain in Dallas today so I didn't get any pictures of the other items he had. There was quite a bit including a SS 16. The Engine model I got is 422437 1266 01 and looks in pretty good shape, Exaust looks almost new, and has the Electric PTO clutch. Those alone are close to $500.00 if I tried to buy new. Also Got a push bumper for $10.00. Over all, well worth the trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts