My Tractor Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
It is all coming back to me. Now I remember when you did that.

Looking for a different blower for mine. Have the one pictured in the shop for repair.
Machine shop making a new power transfer shaft and sprocket. Also making a new union for the shaft to the 90° gear box. I have a new upper sprocket, bearing and hanger for shaft. And new chain. Old large sprocket on impeller shaft wore down and I think edge of chain started riding up on the sprocket teeth. Did a lot of damage, including cracking the frame which allowed the shaft and lower sprocket to flop around.

All repairable but thought what happens if that gear box goes out? Started looking around for one and so far nothing even close. So keeping my eye out for a blower just like it, or something else I can put on there. Thinking it might be a good idea to have a back up.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
The blower is mounted up. It only takes about 15 minutes to slide it into the mounts, hook up the belt, and tighten up 4 bolts. We are also looking at making a rear weight bracket out of an old weight bench with 10 lb. plastic weights. We have a total of 9 weight that we could add if needed.

100_2486 (Medium).JPG 100_2487 (Medium).JPG 100_2488 (Medium).JPG 100_2490 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Finished up the rear weight bracket for the Craftsman. I hope to try it out If we get some snow in the next week. I put all 90 lbs on it figuring it shouldn't be a problem when I only weigh 170 lbs. I know lots of guys that weigh more than the combined weight I now have.

100_2494 (Medium).JPG 100_2495 (Medium).JPG 100_2496 (Medium).JPG 100_2497 (Medium).JPG

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
I have the weight on mine attached to the bagger uprights. I remove the bagger assm. off the uprights in the fall, put them in the slots, and bolt a metal milk crate to the back. I also made a couple angle iron brackets that bolt high on the uprights and attach to the tractor to support it better.

In the picture the large aluminum plate is on the inside of the milk crate so the weight is spread across the whole side of the crate.

Side note: I left the weight box on the tractor this past summer. Took all the weights out of it. Made for a great way to have tools with me when I was out and about. Made a chain saw carrier that bolted to one side of the box.

So my weight is up higher, and sticks out farther in back than yours. I usually have 140 lbs in it for snow blowing. That seems to be the best amount of weight for my setup. And gives me the traction I need to go down in and back out of the ditches along my driveway.

I needed it up high in order to bolt the rear of the cab to it. Built it as a support for the rear of the cab. Adding weight to it was an after thought.

Works well but the weight being higher up raises the center of gravity of the tractor. Would be easier to tip over side ways on a side slope.
I like how your weight sits lower. Center of gravity is lower.

If you find you need more weight, should be able to add more.

I should add I weigh about 60lbs more than you.

Some where on the Hydro Gear web site, back when I was looking around for an idea of how much weight the transaxle (218-3010L) could handle, I found documentation saying the transaxle could handle 1200 lbs total of static weight. Sadly I did not copy it for reference. Never found that again.

Basket-DSCF9459.JPG DSCF9472.JPG DSCF9474.JPG Dscf9479.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
What do you use for weights in the crate, JP?

Mike

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Finished up the rear weight bracket for the Craftsman. I hope to try it out If we get some snow in the next week. I put all 90 lbs on it figuring it shouldn't be a problem when I only weigh 170 lbs. I know lots of guys that weigh more than the combined weight I now have.
That looks great! Doesn't stick out much past the tires.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
What do you use for weights in the crate, JP? Mike
I have a few different things I use for weight. Changes every year. Which ones I use depends on how I stack them in there. Left overs stay in the shed so I can add more if needed.

4 X 19 lb steel slabs an inch thick. 9-1/2" X 7-3/4" x 1" Were caps over the servo in old IBM disk drives. 2 in the back and now 2 on the front end for weight on the front tires when the snowblower is down. Wish I had saved more of them.
4 X 19 lb rectangular cast iron balance weights off of an old drum printer.
2 X 23 lb steel cylindrical weights. Cut off ends of an old 4" steel shaft. Drilled and tapped so an eye bolt will screw in to one end to use as an anchor in the duck boat.
1 x 19 lb coffee can of old lead wheel weights. (Odd how much of what I use weighs 19 lb. each)
1 X 33 lb plastic anti freeze jug filled with old lead wheel weights. Sealed so none spill out. Has to go in first before I mount the cab. Other wise hard to maneuver into place.
1 x 15 lb tool box sitting behind the seat.
20 foot 5/16 chain 11 lbs. Hanging on basket so I can get a pull out if and when I get stuck.
And a Red plastic quart oil jug filled with gas so I can get back from the end of the driveway when I run out.
This year I have 140 lbs in the basket. That has been about right.
In the past I have gone up to 170 lb, but that lifts the front end too much. I think that weight hanging so far back has more lift power on the front end.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I like your dual purpose weight's, JP. Other than the new weight bracket on the back of our craftsman I have rear wheel weights made from a front Farmall C/SC cast Iron wheel. They are a 2 piece wheel and weight about 60 lbs each half. Just had to make an adapter to bolt them on and they work great.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Those weights turned out nice. They look good. They tucked into the wheels really nice, and do not stick out past the tire.

I have 2 x 55 lb Craftsman wheel weights on the GT. Cement inside a plastic case.
One weighs 45 other weighs 48, so only 93 lbs. total. Wonder if anyone else ever weighs their manufactured wheel weights?
I was a bit surprised when the one only weighed 45 lb. I would have thought they would be closer to the weight stated on the side. I expected them to be right on.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, JP. The old antifreeze bottle full of lead seems like a great idea.

I also have the Craftsman wheel weights. The plastic is cracked on one of them, still holding onto the tractor, though.

I also have the tray and bucket that came with a Craftsman snowblower attachment. I put rocks into it, but it's not as heavy as I'd like it to be.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Finally got a video of the Craftsman blowing snow on 1/15/20 uploaded. The clean carb and new weight bracket worked good.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Video #2 is uploaded.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
That tractor is working great. Looks like you need a cab now? I do like the helmet, lol.
I think about a cab from time to time, but we only get to blow snow 1-2 times a year so its hard to justify. Then again we did get a tractor and blower setup just on the odd chance of using it.:LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Video #3 is uploaded.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
OK, all I needed to see was the first 10 seconds of that last video. If there ever was a video proving the need for a cab, that's it...

Mkke

241 - 256 of 256 Posts