My Tractor Forum banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Hi cjet looks pretty if you are really wanting to try the blower load it up and come here we got about 6" Thursday night and are getting another 5/6 this afternoon and night. I had the Power King and Haban blower out yesterday and its working good the heater is great so I'll be ready Monday unless you get here first :tango_face_smile_bi:sidelaugh
If I just drive the tractor I figure I should be there just in time for next winter. :tango_face_grin: No need for a heater here today. I was about ready to break out the sunscreen after doing some clearing with a JD 300 and 54" blade. I did some work on this tractor several years ago and I can't get the owner to come and pick it up so I figured I should start using it. It really could use chains and wheel weight though as I spent a lot of time spinning my wheels. At least I got to clear some snow this year with something other than a scoop shovel. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
While using the Craftsman GT with the snowblower on it today I had the PTO switch break. When I pulled it to the on position the whole knob came off in my hand. I wanted to finish blowing some snow so I looked at a few of my other GT's for something that might work. My John Deere GT225 switch looked similar and sure enough the plug fit right on. The switch even snapped back in the stock craftsman dash. That got me back in business and I finished clearing the driveway. Now my craftsman runs like a deere. :tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
"Now my craftsman runs like a deere" that's sic
cjet I'm thinking those Washington snows are getting to you :tango_face_surprise:sidelaugh:greendr:

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
"Now my craftsman runs like a deere" that's sic
cjet I'm thinking those Washington snows are getting to you :tango_face_surprise:sidelaugh:greendr:
If I'm suffering from brain freeze with low temps in the mid teens here, just think how bad I would be back there in MN. :tango_face_grin: I'm just glad to have gotten enough snow to really try out the Craftsman/Blower setup. The blower is working well other than a broken belt and this switch. It sounds like the temps are going to get up into the low 40's late this week so this may be it for this season.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
"If I'm suffering from brain freeze with low temps in the mid teens here, just think how bad I would be back there in MN." We hear the expression nuttier than a fruit cake a lot around here now days :tango_face_smile_bi
Its good you got to try the blower out and put a few scratches in the new paint , I know about replacing belts had to replace the auger/blower belt on 2 of mine this fall went to the Kevlar ones and so far been doing good got a couple of hours in today at the house and the shop, light fluffy snow blew good but it was cold after a hour and I have cabs no heat but it keeps the snow off and that's a big help

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
"If I'm suffering from brain freeze with low temps in the mid teens here, just think how bad I would be back there in MN." We hear the expression nuttier than a fruit cake a lot around here now days :tango_face_smile_bi
Its good you got to try the blower out and put a few scratches in the new paint , I know about replacing belts had to replace the auger/blower belt on 2 of mine this fall went to the Kevlar ones and so far been doing good got a couple of hours in today at the house and the shop, light fluffy snow blew good but it was cold after a hour and I have cabs no heat but it keeps the snow off and that's a big help
We had swirling winds so I got a few face shots. Reminded me of skiing in waist deep powder. I can see why a lot of guy's add cabs to their GT's after a season of blowing snow. I tried a motorcycle helmet today and it kept the head much warmer.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Finally got a new PTO switch to replace the one that broke while blowing snow last winter. I'll get it installed later today and try it out since the blower is still on the tractor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Installed the new switch and gave it a try. Works like it should.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Installed the new switch and gave it a try. Works like it should.
Great, now you have to paint the dash, then...

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Great, now you have to paint the dash, then...

Mike
The whole thing could use a repaint. :tango_face_sad: I think I have seen a dash decal for these, but can't remember where it was.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
I feel your pain. I hemmed and hawed about whether to paint a junkyard trailer hitch/bumper for my truck, until I ran out of time and needed it installed. Turns out, it was in much better shape (even without new paint) than the underside of my truck. :(

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
The craftsman has been sitting for about 3 months and I figured it was time to get the blower mounted up. Well as usual the battery was dead. I charged it overnight and fired it up today. It ran like [email protected] I pulled the bowl off the carb and found it full of rust and jelly. This must be some of the fuel that we didn't get stabilizer added to last year. Got the bowl cleaned up and shot some carb cleaner down the idle and main adjusting screws. Fired it back up and its running good now. Think I will top it off with new fuel and drive it a bit to get things mixed up good.

100_2476 (Medium).JPG 100_2477 (Medium).JPG 100_2478 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. Why not just drain and clean the tank rather than risk drawing more of that into the carb and engine?

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Wow, that's impressive. Why not just drain and clean the tank rather than risk drawing more of that into the carb and engine?

Mike
I've found that the fuel will jell in the bowl and still be fine in the tank. I don't know if it gets condensation in the bowl when it sits for a long period with the ethanol fuel or what, but I have had this happen with this tractor a couple of times. The first time I pulled the tank and found nothing and the other I just cleaned out the bowl and its good to go until it sits again. I just need to make sure the fuel I use has stabilizer , run non ethanol, or get a shut-off valve so I can run it dry when its going to sit.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Wow, ok.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Where is the rust coming from? Does it have a metal petcock or 90 elbow somewhere in the line? Rust goes right through most small engine filters.
It started to rust the bowl in a couple spots. I put a new bowl on this several years ago because the original had pin holes rusted through it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
After some cleanup, I was able to pull the craftsman in the shop and should get the blower installed tomorrow.

100_2479 (Medium).JPG 100_2484 (Medium).JPG

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Hey Cjet,

Is that the snowblower you have always had attached?
What Craftsman model is it?

That is not the snowblower I was expecting.
I was expecting you had one like mine, (842.242560) with the big frame that went under the tractor. Power shaft and chain driven.
I had thought those were the only blowers that would attach to your model.

If that one attaches to yours, then that model might attach to mine also. Would like to look around and see if I can find one.

DSCF1949.JPG

Dscf1950.jpg

DSCF1949.JPG Dscf1950.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Hey Cjet,

Is that the snowblower you have always had attached?
What Craftsman model is it?

That is not the snowblower I was expecting.
I was expecting you had one like mine, (842.242560) with the big frame that went under the tractor. Power shaft and chain driven.
I had thought those were the only blowers that would attach to your model.

If that one attaches to yours, then that model might attach to mine also. Would like to look around and see if I can find one.
Yep the same one we have always had. Its a 40" MTD blower that we adapted to the craftsman. Here are a couple threads on it, one is when we bought it and the other is the repaint.

221 - 240 of 256 Posts