My Tractor Forum banner

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
I tried my new handheld tach on the Craftsman today. It says its turning 3260 rpm at WOT. Aren't these m18's suppose to rev higher.
I could use one of those, how much or if you mind where you get it?
Money is tight now but we could use that for our Magnum adjustment as well! I noticed a higher WOT RPM after carb clean.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Money is tight now but we could use that for our Magnum adjustment as well! I noticed a higher WOT RPM after carb clean.
Here you go, Eric16. I wasn't sure which one to buy, but thought this one could be used wirelessly or with the lead so you could monitor from the seat if needed. I think it shipped out from back near you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z32OHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
I got this one years ago.. it doesn't have the cable like cjet69 posted.. but u don't need that.. just set the parkin brake so u can check the RPM..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I5LDVC?psc=1

it's a lot cheaper..

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Thanks Whirly. After workers comp call a little while ago, looks like no money to spend!

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,039 Posts
I bought one of these from a different seller on Ebay a couple years back.

Digital Laser Photo Tachometer Non Contact RPM Tach Meter Motor Speed Gauge USA

Works with small squares of reflective tape.
In this ad I do not see the reflective tape that should come with it. May want to look for another seller that includes the reflective tape.

Bought this type mainly so I could also check RPMs on pulleys, shafts, augurs, and impellers.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
I bought one of these from a different seller on Ebay a couple years back.

Digital Laser Photo Tachometer Non Contact RPM Tach Meter Motor Speed Gauge USA

Works with small squares of reflective tape.
In this ad I do not see the reflective tape that should come with it. May want to look for another seller that includes the reflective tape.

Bought this type mainly so I could also check RPMs on pulleys, shafts, augurs, and impellers.
thats the same as I got.. mine had the refelective 'stick on anything' tape included.. have used it on a hundred engines.. the tape is 1/4 inch wide.. I cut 1/4 x 1/4 pieces & stick them on the flywheel screen.. still got a bunch of the tape left..

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
About a month ago I thought I better check out the craftsman tractor. It hadn't been run in many months so when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I charged the battery and got it fired, but it wouldn't run right. Pulled the carb and found some water and gelled fuel in the bowl. Put it back together and all seemed well.

Today I decided to run it a bit. Again the battery was dead. Charged the battery, but couldn't get more than a few turns before it was dead again. I stole an almost new battery out of another rig and made the swap. Got it fired up, but after about 10 minutes it started running bad. Found gelled fuel again and proceeded to clean it out. It ran another ten minutes and the problem is back. I guess its time to bite the bullet and drain the fuel system and start fresh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Ouch, hate this fuel! Well glad you caught it! You use a shut off valve in line as well?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Ouch, hate this fuel! Well glad you caught it! You use a shut off valve in line as well?

No shutoff, but might be a good plan so I can run the fuel out of the carb.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
No shutoff, but might be a good plan so I can run the fuel out of the carb.

You really have to if it sits! I do this to everything that gets through the shop!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
You really have to if it sits! I do this to everything that gets through the shop!

We usually get non ethanol fuel for the farm, but last year they stopped carrying it on the delivery truck. Also one drum didn't get the fuel additive that is suppose to prevent this. This years fuel has the additive so we will see if its a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Trying some LED bulbs in the Craftsman. Wont be able to tell much until it gets dark, but they sure look brighter/whiter than the old 1156 incandescent bulb.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Tried the bulbs out in the dark. The LED's are definitely brighter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
The snow is teasing me again. We have 2-2.5" on the ground and after a couple hour break it started snowing again. I think I will wait until tomorrow to mount the blower up. If I make my move to soon I'm afraid it will turn to rain. The weather report is only calling for another 1" to fall before warming up to the low to mid 40's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,962 Posts
Three inches then going into the 40s? You're definitely desperate for seat time if you're even thinking about hooking up a blower! That will probably melt before you can finish!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Three inches then going into the 40s? You're definitely desperate for seat time if you're even thinking about hooking up a blower! That will probably melt before you can finish!

Mike
At this point I will take what I can get. I would need 5-6" total and freezing temps before I would put the blower on. I haven't been able to try out the blower since I got the new belt on and routed properly.

I just got to thinking I could put the front blade on the John Deere 318,angle it and windrow the snow to make it deep enough to try. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
8,962 Posts
Double the seat time, I say go for it!!!

Now that I understand you're reasoning (needing to test the machine), it makes total sense. I'm just surprised you've waited this long to hook it up!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Probably had enough snow to try the blower with 4" in the driveway and 5" on the back deck, but the temps are rising fast. The snow level in the driveway is dropping quickly so I won't bother with the blower this time. Its currently sunny and 41* on our thermometer. I walked back thru the woods and it sounds like its raining hard with all of the melting snow falling out of the trees. It did look nice this morning with the new snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Hi cjet looks pretty if you are really wanting to try the blower load it up and come here we got about 6" Thursday night and are getting another 5/6 this afternoon and night. I had the Power King and Haban blower out yesterday and its working good the heater is great so I'll be ready Monday unless you get here first :tango_face_smile_bi:sidelaugh

201 - 220 of 256 Posts