·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Hi cjet69, they are very good tractors go for it they have a strong hydro in them, I might be wrong but am thing the hydro has an external filter and provisions for changing the fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's. I guess I will talk with the mower shop and see if he will part with it. The engine I have is a briggs 18 twin. I think it should work.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Hi that engine will work good, I like those old B&S opposed twins.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Is he parting out the tractor or does he just want the motor for another project? If so, why? Transmission pooched and too costly to repair?

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF you can get the Sears 917.xxxxxx number, you can better identify what it is.
You can get an OM from searspartsdirect.com and see exactly what trans axle etc. you have.
I'll see if I can get the model # this next week.

Is he parting out the tractor or does he just want the motor for another project? If so, why? Transmission pooched and too costly to repair?
I asked him what he was doing with it last Thurs. and he said he wanted the engine for a donor. At the time I didn't ask if new what or if something was wrong with it. Its been sitting somewhere for a while because it has some moss growing on it. The steering wheel is broke and tires are flat so maybe the repair cost was more than its worth, like you said. We'll see what he says next week.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
I've rescued, built, and re-sold quite a few of these, including the older silver models. No matter how bad they were when I dragged them home, they always (easily) came back alive, and went back into service with new owners. Bulletproof machines, from a day gone buy. The models with the 3 speed manual trans that has hi/lo lever on the right side of the foot well area are particularly cool, IMO. Hydo is WAY more user friendly though.

If you wind up needing to rebuild the deck, AMC Parts Store has prices that are hard to beat for the spindles, blades, and pulleys. Get the numbers off the searspartsdirect website and then put them into amc's site. I've been using them for about 5 years.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked with the mower shop owner this morning. They said the PO told them that the rear end was locked up and that's why they were just going to pull the engine. After a short conversation he told me to take it, check it over, and he would trade me for the Briggs 18 twin that I have if it checks out. Otherwise I can just bring it back to him. Can't beat a deal like that. Anyway here is the tag and a few more pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Don't look too bad other than the hole in deck. The engine alone is worth it! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it running :woohoo1: Had to bypass the safety switches because of everything being frozen up and free up the starter drive, but after that it fired right up. I think it has a blown head gasket on one side though. We'll see when I pull the head. I also blew all the grass buildup out of the fins on the cylinder with the blown head gasket. Not sure if its related or not.

I tried the hydro and got nothing. After crawling underneath I found the belt tensioner was froze in the released position. Once that was loosened up the hydro worked fine. The only problem is I can't get the hydro release to work so I can roll it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
SWEET cj!! Best kind of deal! We get this type here and there due to neglect!

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
before u pull the head.. check both of the plugs for a spark..

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Nice deal. I was going to suggest you just trade them your Briggs for it, so you could keep this one intact and just get it running.

PB BLaster or Liquid Wrench are going to be your friends on a machine like this that's been sitting for so long, in such damp conditions. I'd recommend pressure washing the whole thing with the deck removed, so you can get the underside of the frame clean, and get access to all the pivot points for brake/clutch pedal, transmission control lever, tensioner pulleys, etc.

The transmission release will likely start working on it's own, as soon as you get everything clean and pivoting properly, and then can drive the tractor around for a while and get the trans hot.

Before you tear the head off the engine, let us know what your symptoms are. We can kick around some ideas and maybe save you a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
before u pull the head.. check both of the plugs for a spark..
It has spark at both plugs. While its running I can feel it puffing/pulsing out at the bottom side of the cylinder at the head to block seam. I'm pretty sure its a gasket.

Nice deal. I was going to suggest you just trade them your Briggs for it, so you could keep this one intact and just get it running.

PB BLaster or Liquid Wrench are going to be your friends on a machine like this that's been sitting for so long, in such damp conditions. I'd recommend pressure washing the whole thing with the deck removed, so you can get the underside of the frame clean, and get access to all the pivot points for brake/clutch pedal, transmission control lever, tensioner pulleys, etc.

The transmission release will likely start working on it's own, as soon as you get everything clean and pivoting properly, and then can drive the tractor around for a while and get the trans hot.

Before you tear the head off the engine, let us know what your symptoms are. We can kick around some ideas and maybe save you a lot of time.
I need a parts breakdown or manual on the hydro to see how the release actually works and what parts are involved. When I move the lever it doesn't feel like it is doing anything.

As I said above, I'm pretty sure the gasket is bad, but I will shoot a vid so you guy's can here it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi cjet69, they are very good tractors go for it they have a strong hydro in them, I might be wrong but am thing the hydro has an external filter and provisions for changing the fluid.
You were right on, GB. The hydro has a filter on it. Its a bigger unit than I was expecting.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts