My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my son told me his blower was leaking gas when he used it. I told him I would get it next time I was there and see what was wrong with it. I got it over the weekend and looked for what I thought would be a broken fuel line. In fact the tank is cracked in the seem for about 2 inches. I found the crack this morning and removed the tank. I was able to easily slide a .003 feeler gauge in at one place. I was able to fix a craftsman gas tank once with a soldering iron but that was just a short stress crack. I found some new tanks but they are $25-30 plus shipping. I'll probably take one of my blowers to him and try to fix this tank. If it's going to leak I would rather it be in my out building than in his attached garage. I did a google search about cracked Hitachi blower tanks bit didn't come up with much, guess it's not a common thing.
Cannon
Blue Bumper Gas Toy Motor vehicle

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have had good luck by cleaning it up and using J. B. Weld

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,636 Posts
I would test if the plastic melts (vs burns) and if it does melt, then just melt the seam together again.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday I took the soldering iron and "Welded" the crack back together. I put some gas in it and it didn't leak. I emptied the gas out, let it dry then mixed up some epoxy. I piled a bead of it on thinking it might reinforce the weld. I put the tank back on this afternoon and used the blower about 15 minutes blowing off the driveway. When I got done I thought I could feel a little bit of gas at the repair. I'm thinking it not going to work but I'll use it a few more times before I give up on it.
Cannon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts