My Tractor Forum banner

Cracked Block

585 5
Going to look at a 1961 Minneapolis Moline Jet Star. Won't turn over as one piston is seized. Is there any way to check or test to see if the block is cracked?
First time I have bought anything with a motor that wasn't running.
Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Check the oil, if it is milky the head gasket or a cylinder liner has failed. How does the seller know only one piston is seized? A good auto parts store should have a cooling system tester available for a reasonable price, the cap goes on the radiator and low pressure, usually 15-20 psi is applied. If it bleeds down there is a leak.
Reactions: tnt_motorsports
That's a good starting point. Thank you. GOING to pick it up Sunday.
Let the games begin
It seems like a lot of older tractors got water added to the radiator, without anti freeze, and when it got cold out the blocks did crack...be careful
Reactions: PA318Guy
Yea that and the exhaust stack goes staight up which could be the reason one of the cylinders is seized up. For what i paid for it I'm willing to take a chance
It seems like a lot of older tractors got water added to the radiator, without anti freeze, and when it got cold out the blocks did crack...be careful
The nice thing with the moline tractors is you can pull the one set of cylinders to press the piston out if need be.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.