My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can/should be doing NOW to get rid of crabgrass? I've decided to finally get rid of it and I don't know a thing about it. My lawn is pretty much infested with it.
Joe

·
Registered
722 Posts
there use to be a herbacide that you could get for it specific to crabgrass but not sure if its available anywhere anymore.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just wondering.. are you talking about crabgrass or wire grass (a form of bermuda - but that is arguable by some)..

Wire grass is a warm weather grass - but spread like crazy, it has 'runners' that can go a long way, even coming up thru asphalt..

Brian

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have had really good luck with Scotts, or Bayer all in one pre emergent treatments. I use them in the spring before the seed takes hold. I apply the Scotts with a broadcast spreader in general, and spray the Bayer all in one on any trouble areas. Works like a champ, but you have to get it down BEFORE the seed germinates!

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering.. are you talking about crabgrass or wire grass (a form of bermuda - but that is arguable by some)..

Wire grass is a warm weather grass - but spread like crazy, it has 'runners' that can go a long way, even coming up thru asphalt..

Brian
Everyone around me says it is crabgrass
Joe

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had really good luck with Scotts, or Bayer all in one pre emergent treatments. I use them in the spring before the seed takes hold. I apply the Scotts with a broadcast spreader in general, and spray the Bayer all in one on any trouble areas. Works like a champ, but you have to get it down BEFORE the seed germinates!
So, spring is the time to get this stuff? My yard has LOTS of crabgrass and I'v actually thought about just sprayin' the whole lawn with total vegetation killer ans just starting from scratch. Pretty drastic but it'd be effective. Not a real big lawn.
Joe

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Crabgrass throws a mess of seed, then dies completely over the winter. The seed lies dormant over the winter, then germinates again in the spring. The trick is to kill the seed with a pre emergent treatment before it gets going. It works quite well if you get it early.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bayer makes a 'bermuda controller / Crabgrass killer' herbacide.. its comes in the sprayer that you attach to your garden hose..

b

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK! Now we're talking. I didn't know about it dying in the fall, and it DOES throw out lots of seed. I'll have at it next spring EARLY, with the pre-emergent stuff.
Joe

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you google Crabgrass you will get a good lesson in what it is and how to prevent it. As has been said, it is an annual grass, so it dies every fall. The downside is that each individual plant creates 200,000 to 300,000 seeds. These seeds can lay dormant for up to 5 years. It also has a herbicide in it's leaves that kill other plants, i.e. your good grass. So it helps to remove the old plants.

steve

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Its getting ready to die on its on for this season. Wait till spring and read up on it and apply preemergence. Coldwaters post contains a good strategy. I'd follow his advice.

I have it and know how you feel. I've tried southern states product but don't think its the best available.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I moved into the house I'm in now, there was basically no lawn. It was a mass of weed mud and mostly crabgrass. I chose not to kill the entire yard, till, and replant, having too much other work to do. I went this route instead. Crabgrass, as stated, is aggressive, highly invasive, tough as nails, and will ruin a lawn in short order. But It does have a few weak spots that make it fairly easy to get under control. It loves hard packed, dry, hot ground, it completely dies off in the cold months, and is usually a slow starter in the spring.
My first line of attack was to plug aerate, lay down weed and feed, and water. Come fall, I overseeded, then later, laid down winter fertilizer to give the remaining grass a fighting chance the next season. Come spring, and after the last frost, I laid down a good quality pre emergent weed killer, and in the worse spots (basically my entire front yard) I used Bayer liquid all in one weed killer. The yard didn't look too good that summer, but nearly all the crabgrass was killed because the seed never germinated. Small problem is, pre emergent kills all seed, so you can't lay grass seed after treatment. So I kept up with a little water and fertilizer for the summer, and in the fall, I seeded again, which took pretty well, and let it sleep. Following spring, I came back with the crab grass preventer, and when the warm weather woke everything up, my lawn looked pretty damned good! Just a bit of fertilizer and water kept it healthy, and let it spread. Getting a decent lawn isn't very hard to do, and in my case I was able to kill off the worse yard in the neighborhood and make it as good as any in the course of one full season.

The lower portion of this picture shows what the entire acre of property looked like when I moved here. Every inch was weed and dirt. I finally finished just the hill in front of the house, and completed the lawn.

And, this last weekend.

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Wow, cold! What a yard! I did some recent research on crabgrass, and learned that if you keep it cut on a lawn, it won't survive. At least that's what they said - and it seems to work for my centipede (a southern grass) lawn. The crabgrass does come up in my gravel drive, and wife's flower beds, but I just pull it out of those places.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks McLawn, It's finally getting there. You can "kind of" keep crabgrass under control by keeping it mowed. The idea behind that is keeping it from getting mature enough to seed out and cause problems. In my experience, it won't kill it though. It just starts to run aground, and puts up long runners in every direction. Man, did I have a battle with that crap!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really wondering if people are confusing wiregrass and crabgrass.. People are talking about the 'runners' or it 'running' which is more of a wiregrass issue from what I read..

Here is how to tell the difference.. http://www.ehow.com/facts_7452441_difference-crab-grass-wire-grass.html

From the link..

Identification
Crabgrass blades are wide, about 1/4 inch in width and blue-green to yellow-green in color. Wiregrass is thinner, usually about 1/8 inch, and its color is a shade of green that more closely matches regular lawn grass.

Spread
Crabgrass and wiregrass grow differently. Crabgrass grows in circular clusters. Wiregrass moves like a wire, vining its way across a lawn via underground stems. With the exception of its seeds, crabgrass dies completely in the cold fall and winter, while wiregrass survives in a dormant state.

brian

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had everything! But crabgrass was the worse. It does grow from a single central root, and spreads out from there to kll off the surrounding grass, but it seems that when it's mowed regularly, the long "arms" that run out will root themselves into the ground as well. They don't continue to run, but do get pretty long. I had some that were 2 feet across with the ground runners rooted in several places.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I really wondering if people are confusing wiregrass and crabgrass..
some pics would help clear the issue up. I'm surprised that link you posted didn't have any.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts