My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...thanks for the quick answers and responses on the last post, I've got some more problems with the old Gravely still.

I took it out and ran it a little bit after work today (just got it back in the building) and I'm pretty well positive that the float is leaking. It's pouring out fuel outta the air cleaner...and it was still running half way. I manage to fiddle with the Carb and limp it back home (this thing's a B!tc# to push...). I'm pretty sure that it's a Walbro carb....the motor is a Kohler, but I think it's called a Gravely G24.

Another thing is that while I was running it through some heavy stuff (I was anxious to test it out!) the PTO kept kicking out on me...Is there some type of adjustment to keep it locked in? It's a commercial 10, and in the owners manual it says that it's normal to hear some grinding, but it's really growling when I put it in, and it's not wanting to stay in.

Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks everyone for the replies in advance.

Matt

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the C10's, but that sounds like a sticking float to me.

On the PTO, you do have the gear shift in neutral while engaging the PTO, right?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I think the float has a hole in it...I don't think the float is floating too well....

I put it in Neutral (right in the middle on the left stick on the handlebar) and it goes in, just really likes to grind...on top of that too, i can't keep the PTO in. I know that in a manual tranny on a truck, it would be the synchro's going out...but I have no clue when it comes to a Gravely, This is my first and only, lol.

Matt

·
22,321 Posts
If the float has a hole in it, it would be filling with gas and not floating up, closing the needle while doing so, allowing a constant stream of fuel to enter the carburetor. This would cause the flooding and gas pouring everywhere.

On the PTO, there was a thread here a while back, I couldn't come up with the name of it to save my life, but anyway, if your PTO lever is set up like I think it is, and I could be wrong, there is a small pin going through the shaft on the operator's end. This pin locks in the dash of the tractor to keep the PTO engaged. Its possible that this pin is bent, or sheared off, allowing the PTO to slip out of gear.

One of the more knowledgeable members will, hopefully, confirm this for us, and maybe even post a pic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one doesn't have the little pin on it. The "swiftomatic" tranny has it to kick it from high to low gear, but it doesn't have one for some odd reason on the PTO. I'm gonna pull the carb back off and see what's the problem, but I'm a little worried about the PTO thing. My father in law said that they've had it for about 20 years, and there hasn't been 40 hours put on it since they've owned it...so I don't think it could be wore out, but maybe somethings outta line or loosened up throughout the years, I dunno.

You guys have any Idea on how to adjust it?

Again thanks for the replies so far, I'm really liking this forum!

Matt

·
22,321 Posts
Now, again, I could be wrong, but with the tractor shut off, pull the PTO shaft out as if you were engaging it. Take a close look at the shaft down where it comes through the dash. There should be a hole, plugged with the remains of the pin, running horizontally through the shaft.

Drill or punch it out and replace the pin with any stock roll pin.

Can someone confirm this for me. I'd really hate to think that I am sending Matt on a wild goose chase.

If I'm right, can someone post the correct size roll pin?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
That pin is for the swiftamatic on the right -- not the PTO engagement. Looking straight at the air cleaner from the side, you'll see various stuff bolted to the handlebars. One of the upper bolts (i think the one before the gas tank) should have a piece of angle iron mounted there. With the pto engaged, take a wrench and adjust that piece of iron so it is snug against the lever. Voila. Or use a bungee cord :D

·
22,321 Posts
Thanks for correcting me on that gm. I haven't dealt with anything other than L's and C's much.

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
"One of the upper bolts (i think the one before the gas tank) should have a piece of angle iron mounted there. With the pto engaged, take a wrench and adjust that piece of iron so it is snug against the lever. Voila. Or use a bungee cord "

I use vise grips to old it out/in position for the PTO but I like the sound of this fix and will try it. Thanks GM!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had this PTO engagement issue as well and there are two things to look at.

First of all check your entire PTO shifting assembly, check the shipper shaft (part 21 in the drawing), particularly where it joins the shipper body, part 19. There are two set screws inside this body that keep the shaft from twisting. Mine were way loose and had lots of play. Also look at the trunion block(not pictured) that the shipper shaft sits on top of down inside the advance casting. You have to pull the attachment off to do all this. Is the little hole in the trunion block excessively worn? If so you must replace it. From there move on to the rest of the shifter assembly. Is the shipper guide (Part 20) warped or bent? Are the bolts that hold the assembly down in good shape, are they snug?

Secondly inspect the dog that comes out and grabs the implement. Mine was and still is very worn. This worn edge on all the teeth tends to force the dog back and out of engagement. I've been told that one can build up this surface with a welder and then grind it back down so it's straight and flush. I will try this before the winter.

The shipper shaft adjustment was a huge improvement for me but the PTO still occasionally pops out of engagement.... so I use a bungee cord!!!! I wrap it around the left handlebar and hook it to the PTO lever! It's just enough tugging that it keeps things engaged but still is easy enough to push in during and emergency!

I have looked at the angle iron that is mentioned in the frame, the rod-stop, and it's actually not even close to touching the PTO rod when engaged. I don't even see how I could move it closer. Not sure how that happened.

Good Luck!
Nate

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Matt,

I have a Comm 10 too, with exactly the same PTO problem. My solution was to add a nut to the bottom of the bolt that holds the entire PTO engagement assembly in place. You can get to the tip of the bolt (Identified as "16" in the schematic provided by Nate) after taking off the attachment. You'll need to stay vigilant, and re-tighten it every once in a while, but I've not had the problem since the fix. I also threw on a lock washer. Also make sure that the engagement lever has the roller pin in place at the PTO end of the lever. Mine had sheared off. This pin simply keeps the PTO engagement plate (Number 17 in the diagram) level during manipulation. I'll get pics as soon as I can, but have a ridiculously busy couple of days ahead.

Trip

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, I really appreciate the help I tightened down the shipper shaft, but I think I'm going to have to take the battery out to get it cinched down really good.

I took the carb apart today and there wasn't anything wrong with the float. I took it completly apart and let it soak in Carb cleaner for about 20 minutes to break all the gunk up and scrubbed all the parts really good. It's running like a little Sewing machine now....never skipping a beat.

I have a 10 hour OSHA class tomorrow, so it'll be tomorrow evening before I can get tinkering on it again.

Again thanks for all the help, I'll let you guys know what I figure out tomorrow.

Matt

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Guys, I really appreciate the help I tightened down the shipper shaft, but I think I'm going to have to take the battery out to get it cinched down really good.

I took the carb apart today and there wasn't anything wrong with the float. I took it completly apart and let it soak in Carb cleaner for about 20 minutes to break all the gunk up and scrubbed all the parts really good. It's running like a little Sewing machine now....never skipping a beat.

I have a 10 hour OSHA class tomorrow, so it'll be tomorrow evening before I can get tinkering on it again.

Again thanks for all the help, I'll let you guys know what I figure out tomorrow.

Matt

Have two cups of coffee in the AM... OSHA 10 is boring!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well for the past 3 years I've been work at a Nursing home, so getting into the Laborers Union is a big change.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...I got it stuck today too. My father in law just took out some float beds and it didn't get too good of traction in wet sawdust, lol. Had it in High gear and had to chase down after it finally flew out of the rut.

Thinking back, It seemed like it would take a second or two...even after engauging the PTO for the blades to actually start spinning, so they're might be an even bigger problem inside this thing than just a loose bolt. I really hope not, might get lucky...

Again thanks everyone for the help so far.

Matt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thinking back, It seemed like it would take a second or two...even after engaging the PTO for the blades to actually start spinning, so they're might be an even bigger problem inside this thing than just a loose bolt. I really hope not, might get lucky...
Probably just need to adjust clutch on the mower ... or leave it as is. I keep my clutches pretty loose, would much rather have the clutch slip than have a gear shear. A minute or two wait is OK with me! And when I'm out "playing" (My Wife's words) with the Gravely, I have all the time in the world!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright guys...a little update. Been up since 5 AM (I'm sure other have too, I'm not used to it though, lol)...so I was a little tired after the OSHA class, but I still tinkered with the Gravely. I still don't have the PTO fixed, but I did take the battery out and tightened down the bolts underneath it...so that's not the problem. I ended up tying a rope to the end of the lever and wrappiing it around the handlebar. I know it's not the safest thing in the world, but no one else was around and I only used it this way in the yard.

I managed to get about half the yard cut today with it....and ran outta steam, dang it was hot today. I can't wait to try the Sulky out, I was tired of chasing this thing and ringing with sweat after about 3/4 of an acre of cutting. I'm happy with the way it's cutting, but I think the blade needs a good sharpening.

When engauging the PTO it's still grinding horribly, but once it's in and the rope's tied it's just fine :trink40:

The motor's running like a top, but the throttle cable/lever keeps rattling back down and I had to keep the rope around it too to keep it revvin'. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

There's a Gravely rider (I think it's a 1238, If memory serves me right) that need a little help. I think I'm gonna get the tractor and haul it to the garage...I'd say it won't take much to get it running either.

:thanku: again for the help anyone, It'll take some time, but I'll have this old Gravely fixed eventually!

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts