My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 52 year old lady who just purchased my parents homestead. I have a sentimental attachment I guess you could say to my Case 446, which was my fathers. When I'm on it, that is what I call 'papa time'. Last year it blew, and we took it to a small engine repair shop. To make a long story short, it was there over a year, and when we got it back, after being 'rebuilt', it ran great, for a few minutes any way! Then it blew oil out the exhaust and there was oil every where. They said they could run it for two hours before it blew oil. Anyway, when I found this site, I though maybe someone would have an idea of what was causing this to happen. It still runs great when you start it up, but sooner of later, it will blow oil again. Good news, we got our $500 back! But I really want my tractor running. It is a Case 446, and there is nothing better that riding the tractor on the farm!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel:Glad to have you! :fest30: Check out your Threads in the Case Forum, there is some replies there! Would like to see some pictures of your Tractor, because :wwp: Click on the Pink Panther for great picture help from Ken-N-TX!

·
Registered
358 Posts
PAPATime,
Is this a 446 garden tractor?If so there is a forum on down the main page under the Lawn & Garden Tractor section:Case,Ingersoll,and Colt Forum.
You will get lots of help there.
And Welcome to the forum.
Terry T

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Welcome to here. Glad to see another Case fan plus Michigan too.

Where you from?

We maybe come to help you with that.

Could be bad dipstick o ring or incorrect install crank case vent

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B43M - 6A016/4183C. I think we may have given up on this high hour engine. We corrected some breather assembly problems and replaced some gaskets that had not been replaced. However, I still think it is a very bad rebuild. We ran it for maybe 20 min. and it kept getting hotter and hotter, (normally I could wear shorts), then it started to spit oil again and smoke. Gotta figure, a 23 yr. old tractor with an average of 3 hrs. a week on it, that says a lot of good for though! I'm considering replacing the motor, maybe sell or trade the tiller for one. I'm going to check into something new a couple of members said overnight, crank case vent? Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holland. Just purchased the homestead where I was raised. Lost both my folks over the last few years, and my Case 446 is very dear to my heart. Don't want to give up on it, but it looks like I might have to replace this tired motor.....or find someone who knows how to rebuild it proper! Where are you located?

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome aboard.
I'm in the big town of Fremont here.
There's a great bunch of folks here!
Enjoy!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,440 Posts
Up into the air cleaner, and out the pipe.....it's everywhere...it's everywhere!
Either the crankcase is overfilled or you have pressure getting into the crankcase past the rings/piston.. Could be broken rings also.. Does the thing look as if it had even been apart (new head gasket or CC vent cover gasket under intake & exhaust ports on the side of the engine?) Good to hear you got your money back because the dude didn't do you any favors. ask around to find a reputable shop or person to tear it down and rebuild it correctly.

:goodl:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
B43M - 6A016/4183C. I think we may have given up on this high hour engine. We corrected some breather assembly problems and replaced some gaskets that had not been replaced. However, I still think it is a very bad rebuild. We ran it for maybe 20 min. and it kept getting hotter and hotter, (normally I could wear shorts), then it started to spit oil again and smoke. Gotta figure, a 23 yr. old tractor with an average of 3 hrs. a week on it, that says a lot of good for though! I'm considering replacing the motor, maybe sell or trade the tiller for one. I'm going to check into something new a couple of members said overnight, crank case vent? Thanks for your interest.
Gravely used the same engines back in the early 80's. The correct model is B43M-GA016/4183C The B43M is the size in cubic inches, 43. the GA016 tells you it is a 16 HP. The 4183C is the spec number. First 2 digits tells you the year and the letter tells you the month from the serial number. They are good engines but they are getting more expensive to repair. Most common problem for spitting oil is a bad breather. Check your oil level and also check for gasoline in the oil. Too much blowby means an engine overhaul would be needed. What does a commpression gauge reading show for the cylinders? Or did they check?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts