My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need orig type carb for 50 series. I have diff one running it now, and choke is diff and air cleaner won't fit on it with diff choke lever. I could use a better exhaust "box" or guard that wraps around muffler. Mine's repairable, but pretty rough. I would like to get one of those tall oil dipsticks and housings like shown on 1650 for a different project I'm trying to put a start/gen on and has slanted dipstick in way. Has to be bolt on one. [email protected] works for me and pix are always nice, with a price, thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless I,ve got my signals crossed a 1650 is a Quiet-Line series. (late 70s- early 80s). They didn't use a starter-gen, the used and intergral starter with an under the flywheel alternator. I think the Kohler engine designation was AQS should be a 16 horse single with an 11/4 exhast flange and a 10 bolt head. K341.
Also, I'm pretty sure you can change the choke shaft and handle for the correct one.Look inside the carb at the choke plate, there are 2 tiny brass screws that hold it to the shaft. They made 2 different Kohler(Carter type) carbs for that engine, but they are externally the same. except for the choke and/or throttle linkage.

·
forkz
5,954 Posts
Unless I,ve got my signals crossed a 1650 is a Quiet-Line series. (late 70s- early 80s). They didn't use a starter-gen, the used and intergral starter with an under the flywheel alternator. I think the Kohler engine designation was AQS should be a 16 horse single with an 11/4 exhast flange and a 10 bolt head. K341.
Also, I'm pretty sure you can change the choke shaft and handle for the correct one.Look inside the carb at the choke plate, there are 2 tiny brass screws that hold it to the shaft. They made 2 different Kohler(Carter type) carbs for that engine, but they are externally the same. except for the choke and/or throttle linkage.
my bro has a 1650 thats the motor n his

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct on the engine not being a start/gen style. I'm trying to convert a diff Kohler to that style to put in old case I'm rebuilding. Just that the 1650 has that nice straight up oil tube was all. I'll look into that choke butterfly shaft and if can be changed. Not sure where to find correct parts then? Any small engine dealer can order?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same problem with the choke shaft and couldn't find the right one...The best the authorized kohler dealer could do for me was get me a standard shaft....the old shaft was bent...i was able to separate the choke end from the old shaft and secure it to the new shaft. I know that doesn't help you much....but thats how i had to deal with the problem.

northstar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts