My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the distributor is saying that 26x12x12 tires should hold about 8.3 gal. Forum members say up to 14 gal. Im sure brand and make of tire matter as not all 26 inch tires are really 26 inches tall. I dont see that size listed on your pdf files on the website. How much will they hold?

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
i'll be watching. i got tires that size with no RG dealers in my area. but will fill with RV antifreeze. IIRC 13 gallon is what these hold.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I have two sets of tires. One is Goodyear and one is Firestone. Both ag tires. Goodyears are taller and hold 70 lb worth and the firestones hold 50 lb.

Another thing is that most will fill so that you can air the tires up/down so they don't fill above the valve on the tire if going through a dealer. But if you almost totally fill a tire- you can hold a lot more.

·
Registered
516 Posts
According to the rimguard floatation chart (see below) 8.3 gallons is correct. Keep in mind liquid ballast is supposed to take up around 75-80% of the tires volume, with the remainder being air for a better ride quality and expansion if necassary. 8.3 also sounds right because I have 29 x 12.5 x 15's and they hold around 12-13 gallons each, so a smaller 26 x 12 x 12 will obviously hold less. Even at 100% full, 14 gallons sounds way to high. Overfilling tires is not a good idea. Id trust rimguards chart over what any member here tells you :fing32:

http://www.rimguard.biz/hydro-flation-table-for-ag-tires/

·
22,004 Posts
My last set of calcium filled tires contained 160 lb of ballast each. CaCl and water weighs approximately 13.3 lb per gallon in 5 lb/gal solution and the frost line was about 1" above the rim, or 80-84% fill.

Add 38 lb for the 26x12-12 turf tire and rim plus 15 lb for the tire chain for a total of 213 lb for one tire. The other one had another 2 lb of calcium so I called them at 215 lb each as weighed on the bathroom scales.

12.0 gallons, more or less. Hmm, using Rim Guard is going to cost me about 25 lb per wheel. Note to self: need a set of wheel weights to compensate. :banghead3

·
Registered
516 Posts
Chevy2racr, as Diesel Powered said, it is on the chart. 3 gallons is correct. Look in the bottom left table under light construction tires and you'll see that size. In case anyone's wondering the 16 x 6.5 x 8's list out at 2 gallons each. In addition there are front wheel weights for 8" rims if you search hard enough. Usually those wil net you 15-30 lbs a wheel, Ive seen bolens, gravely, and wheelhorse to name a few.

As for the calcium, it may be heavier, but it is not the best choice imo. It rots out the rims, requiring tubes, and is bad for the environment if a leak is sprung. I'll stick with rimguard and/or wheel weights.

·
22,004 Posts
As for the calcium, it may be heavier, but it is not the best choice imo. It rots out the rims, requiring tubes, and is bad for the environment if a leak is sprung. I'll stick with rimguard and/or wheel weights.
No argument here. However, the last time I had the tires loaded with CaCl, Rim Guard was not available. Twelve years later, Rim Guard was available, but the rims were toast, again! :Disgus:

When calcium rusts out the rims to the point where they need tubes, the tubes will have a very limited life expectancy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts